Liver - do you love it or hate it?

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
11:28 PM
[Mod.Edit: posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Last nights dinner. Fried calves liver cooked medium rare, slaw and wedges.View attachment 56112View attachment 56113

Never eaten a calves liver. Been put off liver since I was a kid when my mum used to make us pork livers. I tried them a few years back to see if I'd like them as an adult and it was a big fat 'nope!'. Chicken livers - i can eat one or two. Are calves livers very different or is it one bite and you're like 'yep - that's liver!'. :)

Shame - cos they look delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never eaten a calves liver. Been put off liver since I was a kid when my mum used to make us pork livers. I tried them a few years back to see if I'd like them as an adult and it was a big fat 'nope!'. Chicken livers - i can eat one or two. Are calves livers very different or is it one bite and you're like 'yep - that's liver!'. :)

I bought some calve's livers a few years ago. I hadn't had them since I was a kid. I cooked them with onions -- liver and onions is very common here. I ate a few bites, and gave it to the dog. He loved it.

My dad loves it.

CD

My sister used to fry pork liver and pork sausage and serve it with mashed potatoes and onion beef gravy. I loved it. I still cook it sometimes here.

That looks great and I'd eat all of that. There may or may not be bits of liver hidden under the spoon at the end though...

I am very fussy about liver (and kidney). Every tube in the liver has been cut out completely. I'd probably only end up with 600 gms of liver out of 1 kg.

Mate I only ate pigs liver once in my life. Calves liver in my opinion is the King of offal. Mild, tender and succulent if fried quickly. Anything over medium is a crime against humanity.

I am very fussy about liver (and kidney). Every tube in the liver has been cut out completely. I'd probably only end up with 600 gms of liver out of 1 kg.
Mate that is precisely why I like calves liver . The liver is not old enough to have produced too many tough strings.

Reactions: mjd
Mate I only ate pigs liver once in my life. Calves liver in my opinion is the King of offal. Mild, tender and succulent if fried quickly. Anything over medium is a crime against humanity.

Calves' liver is not available here (actually no meat from a calf is available, only the placenta). Beef liver may be available but I've not seen it. Chicken liver is sometimes on the shelves but it tends to be cooked as dog food.

In my opinion, yes. All liver has that nasty, metallic, "yeah you just ate the organ that filters toxins from the blood" taste. But, out of my family with 6 kids, I was the only one who disliked it. To each their own, but yuck for me.

Our father was pretty strict about eating food growing up. We always sat down together for Sunday dinner and we had to eat whatever was prepared. Luckily, calf liver and onions weren't on a high rotation. I didn't actually hate it as a kid but knew that I would never eat it as an adult (and, I haven't). LOL

I will eat chicken livers and gizzards sometimes but that's about it as far as organ meat goes.

I remember sitting at the table in front of a plate of liver one night for so long that I finally fell asleep on it. Mom never tried to make me eat it again. She'd say, "Well all you get is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich then," like that was some sort of punishment, LOL!

• Lol or Haha
Reactions: mjd
I like chicken livers, even as a kid. My mother made fried chicken livers at least once a month. She was always meticulous about cleaning them, and so am I because of that. I love duck and goose liver, i.e. foie gras. I'll pass on beef liver, even calf's. Pork liver is a HUGE pass for me. Craig made boudin once and I'll only eat that if it's a small part of a dish.

Back
Top Bottom