Liver

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:16 AM
I'm talking about pig, ox, calves' or lambs' liver rather than chicken livers here. I have a real craving to eat some - so eat some I will! I'll probably go for lamb's liver as its relatively tender if cooked correctly and although I like calves' liver - at the moment I'm craving a stronger taste. Besides, calves' liver is stupidly expensive.

Now I tend to think that liver is such a distinctive taste that it doesn't need to be mucked about with. I will probably keep it simple and fry quickly leaving it pink inside and serve with onion gravy, mash and cabbage.
How do you like to cook liver?

Calves liver dusted with flour, fried until just before medium in butter and grapeseed oil, then topped with crispy bacon and sauteed onions, served with mash and beef gravy.

I like that idea of slow cooking (is it?) with tomatoes. Why does mashed potato go so well with liver?
I think it takes about an hour and a half. Since I've been trying out all the recipes on here, I haven't had it, although I do have some liver in the freezer :D I love it with plenty of mash to soak up all the juices, plus the "sweetness" of the mash goes nicely with the strong taste of the liver.

I think it takes about an hour and a half. Since I've been trying out all the recipes on here, I haven't had it, although I do have some liver in the freezer :D I love it with plenty of mash to soak up all the juices, plus the "sweetness" of the mash goes nicely with the strong taste of the liver.

Everyone here like mash with liver! You are right about the sweetness contrasted with the faintly bitter liver.

If you slow cook liver does it not go a bit 'chalky' and dry?

I usually get ox liver and casserole it with plenty of tomatoes. I eat it either with rice or mashed potatoes.

I'd love to try ox liver.

I bought some bison liver a few years ago. The price was dear (all of this ranch's meats are ridiculous, unless you order half of a beast at once), but it was fantastic.

Rich and mineral-y; tender but not squishy in any way. A good bite.

I've just found this recipe:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Prune-Liver-Dinner/

You've got my taste buds twitching with this one! I may have to try this recipe out.

Everyone here like mash with liver! You are right about the sweetness contrasted with the faintly bitter liver.

If you slow cook liver does it not go a bit 'chalky' and dry?
It's lightly browned first and then cooked with plenty of liquid. It doesn't get a chance to go dry. I've never cooked it in my slow cooker - don't know how it would turn out in that.

Back
Top Bottom