Lobster is not worth the money

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
8:09 PM
I want to start off saying that I do think lobster tastes good. It is delicate meat, like crab, but it's easier to get to, and more to it than crab meat. But it is too similar to other seafood, such as scallops and shrimp (yes, its a little sweeter), to be worth paying four times what I would pay for those foods to be worth it to me. A lobster tail goes for about $20.00 around here. That's too rich for my blood! Do you eat lobster at home or when eating out?

Hi, I have never bought lobster for myself! The times I have lobster is when it is prepared by a family member, friend or a date orders it for us. Like you I do agree it tastes good but the quantity of the meat is just not worth it for the price tag. What I have observed is that when you prepare it, you really need to know what you are doing otherwise you waste a lot of the meat....which is barely there already.

Did you know that lobster (as well as Bluefin tuna) used to be considered waste animals by fishermen in the 1800's and back? Often times if they kept them at all, they would make dog and cat food out of it. Prisoners were often fed lobster, and one group filed a formal complaint because they had to eat lobster three times in one week! I can only imagine what early fisherman must have thought when they looked at a lobster. It looks like a giant insect. They must have been awful hungry to give that a chance!

I've never bought lobster for home. I've had it a couple of times in restaurants and in this case I think it's fine. But yes it's too expensive for me to cook it myself, if I want seafood I can go with mussels or shrimps and it will end up a lot cheaper while still giving me a refreshing change from the red mean or chicken that I'm usually having.

I kind of agree with you OP. I grew up in a coastal town where they trap lobster and I never understood what the hype was all about. It tastes good but in my opinion it's nothing to go crazy about. Funny that you mention the history of lobster, my dad said when he was growing up all the poor kids brought lobster sandwiches to school and tried to trade them for peanut butter and jelly!

I kind of agree with you OP. I grew up in a coastal town where they trap lobster and I never understood what the hype was all about. It tastes good but in my opinion it's nothing to go crazy about. Funny that you mention the history of lobster, my dad said when he was growing up all the poor kids brought lobster sandwiches to school and tried to trade them for peanut butter and jelly!

Now that's a funny story! Did the kids trade them or was lobster so common, no one else wanted it? It is interesting to see food that is common for some people is almost a delicacy to someone else. I live in Iowa. Corn is everywhere. Granted, most of the corn we grow goes toward fructose and ethanol, but I never understood when sweet corn vendors set up, people go nuts for it. I want to say, corn is everywhere! That isn't anything unique! It would be like a fruit stand with oranges being raided in Florida.

Now that's a funny story! Did the kids trade them or was lobster so common, no one else wanted it? It is interesting to see food that is common for some people is almost a delicacy to someone else. I live in Iowa. Corn is everywhere. Granted, most of the corn we grow goes toward fructose and ethanol, but I never understood when sweet corn vendors set up, people go nuts for it. I want to say, corn is everywhere! That isn't anything unique! It would be like a fruit stand with oranges being raided in Florida.

I think if you had lobster it meant your dad was a fisherman and you were probably pretty poor. Lobster was not priced as a delicacy until more recently, it all goes to show that worth and value are very fluid concepts. The first time I tried it I thought it tasted like fishy chicken. Everyone was raving about it, I was like "meh".

If I lived along a coastal area where it was available more cheaply I would perhaps eat it more, since it's pretty lean meat and I'm assuming it's relatively sustainable. However living in Ohio, it's pretty expensive around here too, and I hate how those lobsters have to live in such a small container all day for who knows how long. It just seems like they are being tortured until their inevitable end. I'd rather they be freshly caught from the ocean and humanely killed. The only time I seem to have a little lobster here and there is in a lobster mac and cheese that I get from a local seafood shop.

Crawfish is a somewhat cheaper alternative, but the only thing that grosses me out about it is sometimes when I buy it, it reeks like moldy sewage, and I have to toss it.

Someone once pointed out to me that Lobsters are actually related to these things...

housecnt.jpg

I am not a big fan of lobster and do not buy it or eat it when we go out to eat. It is way too expensive for what it is. I prefer to eat crab and shrimp. Part of the fun of eating seafood is having to dig for your food, like a nice hot fresh crab leg!

Back
Top Bottom