Lobster

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
11:16 PM
Decided to try lobster - just wondering if anyone has any simple recipes out there. No thick rich fancy sauces Just something simple so we can taste the lobster. [And sorry to the purists we will not be starting off with a live one]

Is it a freshly cooked lobster you are buying? If it is one that's cooked and frozen, you really won't be tasting lobster at its best. Frankly, I don't think they are worth bothering with. If its freshly cooked, then I wouldn't really do anything with it except learning how to present it in the shell, if you are going to eat it cold. You need step by step instructions which you can find online: http://www.jamieoliver.com/videos/how-to-prepare-a-cooked-lobster/

Some fishmongers will do this for you. If you want it cooked, I'd simply split the lobster (or get the fishmonger to do it) and grill it in the shell with a little butter and garlic and perhaps some fresh herbs sprinkled on top. The shell will exude a delicious aroma as you grill! It should take about 4 to five minutes under a hot grill.

Do not discard the shell once you have eaten the lobster. It makes shellfish stock to die for!

Last edited:
Is it a freshly cooked lobster you are buying? If it is one that's cooked and frozen, you really won't be tasting lobster at its best. Frankly, I don't think they are worth bothering with. If its freshly cooked, then I wouldn't really do anything with it except learning how to present it in the shell, if you are going to eat it cold. You need step by step instructions which you can find online: http://www.jamieoliver.com/videos/how-to-prepare-a-cooked-lobster/

Some fishmongers will do this for you. If you want it cooked, I'd simply split the lobster (or get the fishmonger to do it) and grill it in the shell with a little butter and garlic and perhaps some fresh herbs sprinkled on top. The shell will exude a delicious aroma as you grill! It should take about 4 to five minutes under a hot grill.

Do not discard the shell once you have eaten the lobster. It makes shellfish stock to die for!
Sounds nice

I entered this thread not to contribute with a recipe but just to look inside because lobster is one of my favorites. I had it the other weekend when we went to the buffet dinner in one hotel. I had a good load of steamed lobster. But I have yet to taste lobster cooked in coconut milk. Just like what I posted with crabs, lobster looks to be a good dish when cooked that way - coconut milk plus a dash of salt. That simple recipe is easy to remember. The dip is the flavor - lemon butter.

I grew up eating lobsters. My Dad was a lobster fisherman so there was always plenty of lobster. The best way to eat it cold right out of the shell. You can use a little bit of garlic butter on the side to dip it in. Another way to have it is to make a lobster roll. Use the tail and claw meat, mix it with mayo and celery if you choose. Take a sub bun/hot dog bun, line it first with lettuce and then top it with the lobster mix, salt and pepper to taste. You can toast the bun if you want.

I am just back from Miami and every time I have been there I have asked my son to take me to Red Lobster. Once we went and the fish smell and crawling Lobsters sent us 'running'. It was all good fun until this trip when he actually went with his girlfriend and left me behind.
Seeing this conversation makes me regret not taking in some lobster even if alone.

Oh man I only eat lobster on special occasions because it costs so much so when I do I just like it boiled so I can really taste the purity of the meat with some vinegar dipping sauce on the side. Sometimes when I'm feeling creative I eat my lobster the same way Chinese crab is cooked, with a lot of hot peppers, pineapple and pepper.

I haven't had lobster in years. It is not really in my budget. It is good, but I really prefer something like King Crab Legs. I have a friend who lives in Maine..she can get lobster cheap. I wonder if she would send me some...she asks hopefully...:D Well, actually I have had a lobster roll when I was in New England. I guess that counts as having lobster. That is not as good as a steamed lobster obviously.

I eat it a lot less than I used to, because it's less prevalent here and my budget has shrunk. Occasionally, though, I will see it at the grocery store for a decent price. They will usually steam or boil it for you for free, and then you can just take it home and eat it. My favorite is dipped in melted butter. The lobster doesn't have to be very hot, or even warm, but melted butter and a little salt really set it off nicely.

Have used lobster a lot ,one place had a stunner ,to knock the lobster out before cooking in court bouillon,hot with butters ,hollandaise,americane,Thermidor,cold with mayonaises,have cut them up raw for bisques and chowders,
Have dived for them and have taken them from pots off a boat.....have also seen them break chefs fingers if not banded

Back
Top Bottom