Long term relationships

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
12:40 PM
[Mod.Edit: This and following few posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

We ( my wife and newborn baby) moved into a flat to start our lives together. I was 17 she was 15.
You both are so sweet. So young and so determined. How long was it before you got married after that? If I may ask...love hearing real life stories from long-term couples.
My parents have been married now for 54 years💞.

Last edited by a moderator:
17 and 15 with a baby today would be a one-way ticket to poverty. Actually, it would be illegal in some places.

CD

17 and 15 with a baby today would be a one-way ticket to poverty. Actually, it would be illegal in some places.

CD
Well, yes, I as a mother would have a worrying issue with a girl having baby at 15, definitely, but seeing Russ now and how well it worked out, is sweet. I have heard other similar stories, sometimes it just works.

Yes, one couple mentioned they eloped to get married in another State...

I had a student years ago, she was around 40 then, and she had grown up kids then, about 20 y old...they were still together, her husband and her...even that was'wow, you had a child at 20'...

You both are so sweet. So young and so determined. How long was it before you got married after that? If I may ask...love hearing real life stories from long-term couples.
My parents have been married now for 54 years💞.

Got married about two years later. Worked out well, daughters a teacher and son worked for me for 15 years and is now nz business manager for a big company here. He's on obscene money. But he's good at his job.

Russ

CD

It was the 70s where things were crazy, I could have been charged I guess but her mum really liked me. Nothing was ever said.
Today.... Don't want to think about it really, all this black lives etc.

Russ

My folks married at 17, they crossed state lines to do so, because to be married here, they needed parental approval.

As to underage...my brother's first wife, they started dating (in every sense of the word) when they were both underage, but the age difference was such that he reached legal status a few years ahead of her, so they were technically out of bounds on that one.

When they married, she was 16 or 17 and had to get her parents to sign for her. She used to laugh about being the only married junior in high school! :laugh:

When they married, she was 16 or 17 and had to get her parents to sign for her. She used to laugh about being the only married junior in high school! :laugh:
Stories life writes, right? Wow...generationally probably our folks and grandfolks were more maturethan we were at that age, but it is still a very tender young age...
It is scary to me, but if it works out, and it seems it did, how can one not awe?

I just love that there are people who knew what they wanted from life when they were 15. I thought I knew, but now that I look back I clearly didn't! So glad no one asked me to marry at that age! :laugh:

Stories life writes, right? Wow...generationally probably our folks and grandfolks were more maturethan we were at that age, but it is still a very tender young age...
It is scary to me, but if it works out, and it seems it did, how can one not awe?
I wanted to add...married at 17, and my mom had four kids before her 22nd birthday.

People were definitely more mature back in the day. But I think they also had different expectations from life. Personal happiness is kind of a new concept. Back then you did what you to do, which was get married, have children, and one day you die. If you enjoyed life or not was besides the point. I feel this a lot in my grandparent's generations. Some of the couples they know seem to be doing very well. But a lot of ladies in my grandma's neighborhood, it's like someone breathed new life into them after their husbands died :laugh:

People were definitely more mature back in the day. But I think they also had different expectations from life. Personal happiness is kind of a new concept. Back then you did what you to do, which was get married, have children, and one day you die. If you enjoyed life or not was besides the point. I feel this a lot in my grandparent's generations. Some of the couples they know seem to be doing very well. But a lot of ladies in my grandma's neighborhood, it's like someone breathed new life into them after their husbands died :laugh:
I understand what you mean.
Some marriages are toxic. Also People change over time...so some start well but end bad...some chose a wrong person for them...and divorce was not a very welcome...
Similar with jobs. If you had ine, you tried to keep it until retirement. It was not so much about personal happiness either...

My folks are still married, just had their 65th anniversary, and whether it's due to old age/mental decline, or wanting to get everything out there before dying, I've had some very candid discussions with my parents about their marriage. It was an eye-opener, that's for sure.

My in-laws, in my mind, had about as good a marriage as a couple can have. They were positively besotted with one another, from the moment they met up to "'til death us do part." Never witnessed a harsh word between them, they were each other's champion, really, and provided a real-world, everyday example of what a good marriage should be about.

It was really humbling at times, because it wasn't the big demonstrations that stuck with me, it was all the little stuff, all the tiny ways they helped and looked out for each other. That's what got me.

I agree, though, back then, there weren't a lot of people, especially a lot of women, given a chance to buck the old Lifescript of born-married-work-kids-retire-die.

Thank god for the '60's, that's for sure. I'm much happier seeing people who've made their own choices, eyes wide open, and who've grabbed the freedom to live how they choose.

I understand what you mean.
Some marriages are toxic. Also People change over time...so some start well but end bad...some chose a wrong person for them...and divorce was not a very welcome...
Similar with jobs. If you had ine, you tried to keep it until retirement. It was not so much about personal happiness either...
Absolutely. My generation is very impatient and doesn't have a lot of staying power.

As you said most people in my parents generation had the same job for life. As long as you were punctual and did your duties correctly, you would always have a job.

That's not true for my generation, the labor law in my country has changed in a way that a lot of people my age are illegally hired as contractors or temporary workers. You can be employee of the month every month and you will still get fired because your employer doesn't want to give you (or anyone) a permanent work contract. So we jump out of the boat as soon as we see a better opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom