Looking for a Black-eyed Peas Recipe

CoolCat

Veteran
Local time
9:44 AM
Does anyone have a good, simple black-eyed peas recipe that doesn't have ham hock or bacon in it? We normally cook them on New Year's, and have found the ham hock to be more trouble than it's worth. Last year we substituted bacon, but my husband put a whole pound in and it was greasy and gross. I'd like to try cooking some this weekend, but I'm having trouble finding a pork-free recipe to play with. I don't want to make a soup, either, which is most of what I'm finding online. I'd like just boiled peas with seasoning, but I don't know what seasoning to use or when to add it. Suggestions?

Does anyone have a good, simple black-eyed peas recipe that doesn't have ham hock or bacon in it? We normally cook them on New Year's, and have found the ham hock to be more trouble than it's worth. Last year we substituted bacon, but my husband put a whole pound in and it was greasy and gross. I'd like to try cooking some this weekend, but I'm having trouble finding a pork-free recipe to play with. I don't want to make a soup, either, which is most of what I'm finding online. I'd like just boiled peas with seasoning, but I don't know what seasoning to use or when to add it. Suggestions?

You can use smoked turkey wings or legs, if it still is the smokey flavor & taste that you crave.

These, I like to keep on hand in the freezer, and they are far less fatty than ham hocks or bacon. Add a couple drops of liquid smoke to the beans, also. Not too much, or the beans will taste like medicine!! :wink:

Any Indian recipe will work. I have plenty involving them but they will all be vegan. Is that any use to you?
I would definitely be interested in some Indian recipes for black-eyed peas if you don't mind sharing! I didn't realize that they were common over there, but I have read that they came to the U.S. from Africa so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Vegan is absolutely no problem.
You can use smoked turkey wings or legs, if it still is the smokey flavor & taste that you crave.

These, I like to keep on hand in the freezer, and they are far less fatty than ham hocks or bacon. Add a couple drops of liquid smoke to the beans, also. Not too much, or the beans will taste like medicine!! :wink:
I'm actually not a huge fan of smoke flavor, so I'm not looking for a substitution. It's just that every time I search for recipes all I get are the classic southern dishes with ham hock and/or bacon, and I'm looking for something a little different.

I would also be interested in the Indian recipe for black eye peas. Black eye peas are not one of my favorite beans to eat so anything to make them more interesting would be a big help.

I would definitely be interested in some Indian recipes for black-eyed peas if you don't mind sharing! I didn't realize that they were common over there, but I have read that they came to the U.S. from Africa so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Vegan is absolutely no problem.

I'm actually not a huge fan of smoke flavor, so I'm not looking for a substitution. It's just that every time I search for recipes all I get are the classic southern dishes with ham hock and/or bacon, and I'm looking for something a little different.

Probably because black-eyed peas are very popular in the South. Just leave out the meat altogether if you don't want any or can't find the recipe that you are looking for. :wink::headshake::stop:

Probably because black-eyed peas are very popular in the South. Just leave out the meat altogether if you don't want any or can't find the recipe that you are looking for. :wink::headshake::stop:

I could do that, or I could ask for other people's perspectives, as black-eyed peas are obviously used in other cuisines. What is this forum for if not to say, "Hey, does anyone know a recipe for X that meets this criteria?" I was not expecting black-eyed peas to be popular in Indian cooking, so I have already found one very valuable avenue to search down. That has yielded much more interesting results for me than just a thousand variations on black-eyed peas + pork +/- cooking liquid.

I could do that, or I could ask for other people's perspectives, as black-eyed peas are obviously used in other cuisines. What is this forum for if not to say, "Hey, does anyone know a recipe for X that meets this criteria?" I was not expecting black-eyed peas to be popular in Indian cooking, so I have already found one very valuable avenue to search down. That has yielded much more interesting results for me than just a thousand variations on black-eyed peas + pork +/- cooking liquid.

Guess that I've always cooked them Southern-style, like our mom used to. She was from the South (Georgia), so we grew up eating them that way.
And I've never cooked them differently than the way that she used to do them. :wink:

@CoolCat Apologies for the delay in uploading a few recipes. I have been rather busy of late and not been around on CookingBites.
I will try to get a few uploaded over the next few days.
Thanks!

I did a batch this weekend based on a quick recipe I found online. I simmered a pound of blackeyed peas in 2 quarts of water with some vegetable oil, a little salt, and a little sugar. They turned out pretty well. You mostly get the flavor of the bean coming through, but you can also taste the extra sweetness. My husband thought they were too bland, but he's never happy until he has dumped half a shaker of salt and a ton of pepper on his food.

I would also love to get some of the recipes as well. Black eye peas are cheap and delicious. I am trying to incorporate more vegetarian into my diet so I will anxiously await what SatNav is going to post as well.

Apologies, a family is issue has arisen and I will try to get around to it later next week.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Things have been crazy for me too so I haven't been able to check back in in a little while. I haven't done any further experiments with black eyed peas, but I've been working my way through some other dried lentils. I've cooked red beans and lentils recently (separately, not a single dish) and had some good results. I used chorizo to add some meaty flavor without it feeling quite so greasy and heavy as when I use bacon. I think it's because the chorizo packs more of a flavor punch so you don't have to use as much.

Back
Top Bottom