Looking for new fun recipe

aconstnull

Veteran
Local time
11:23 PM
Hi,

When I cook I find I love the prep etc the most. I'm a beginner and my favourite thus far is beef in black bean sause with egg fried rice.
As I do the sauce, there's a reasonable amount of cooking to do (sauce, beef veg prep, egg fried rice).
I'm doing this a bit too often though really and the family are getting a little bored with it!

Can anyone suggest something which requires a similar amount of prep which might be good to try next?

thanks so much!

Well thats one big open question! But if you like Asian style food, how about Pad Thai? There are lots of recipes on the internet. Here is one:
http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/prawn-and-chicken-pad-thai.html

P.S. I don't know which country you are in so I don't know if you can easily get the ingredients. This recipe is in UK measures so you may need to translate. Top tip: to add your location to your avatar/picture go to The Lounge and read @SatNavSaysStraightOn's post on how to do it.

What are you ideas on food ,do you like vegitarian food or does your life style give you time in the kitchen,do you work to a strict budget and where are you on the globe
In the UK there are loads of family favourites using British ingredients and also global ideas ,maybe trying some different pulses ,or a French influence with cassouletes ,baked chilli wraps with cheese sauce,loaded jacket potatoes ,Italian influence of pastas risottos ,pies ,casseroles,stews ,pot roasts maybe a slow cooked pork shoulder with Moroccan spices and cous cous,
Give us some thing to work with and you'll be surprised by what the forum can come up with

Here is one of my own ideas. Mexican chicken strips with potato wedges and a fresh tomato salsa. Here we go:
You need chicken tenderloins, corn chips, eggs and flour, frozen potato wedges or you can make your own, fresh tomatoes, onions, basil, 1 hot chilli, salt, pepper.
1. Crush the corn chips until fine. Beat the egg. Dust your chicken tenderloins with flour, after roll them in egg and crumb them with the corn chips. Cook them in the frypan with olive oil until golden brown.
2. Tomato salsa. Dice fresh ripe tomatoes, fine dice onions, 1 garlic fine diced, fresh basil sliced, 1 sliced chilli. Fry off in a sauté pan your onions, garlic, chilli in olive oil. Add your diced tomatoes and if you like some diced capsicum. Add salt and pepper and any seasoning you like. Let it cook for about 10 minutes. Add fresh sweet basil just before you serve the sauce.
3. Potato wedges: you can use frozen wedges or make your own. Fry them in a deep fryer until golden brown. Also roast potatoes go well with it.
4. Put your cooked potato wedges on the plate first, add your cooked chicken tenderloins on top of the potatoes and top it with the tomato salsa. Bon appetite
PS: You can also use a chicken breast, cut in stripes instead of chicken tenderloins.
PSS: chicken tenderloins is the small filet under the chicken breast

Chicken Marsala would be a good dish to try out, or it's close cousin, Chicken Picatta. It's basically a sauteed chicken breast and mushrooms in a marsala wine & butter based sauce. It's important to have all your prep work done in advance, before cooking anything, because the whole thing comes together rather quickly. You start by finely dicing some shallot, then finely chop some fresh parsley and set that aside as well (I like to keep each ingredient in a little bowl), then slice up some mushrooms of choice. For the chicken breasts, they should be boneless and skinless, and preferably not too big because you need to pound them flat with a mallet, until they are about 1/4 inch thick all the way through. Season some flour with salt and pepper generously and dredge the chicken in them coating them evenly. You'll want an extra plate on hand as well. Add some oil to the pan and bring it up to medium temperature, then add the chicken in and lightly brown them on both sides. Don't over do it, because we'll be cooking them again in a moment. Once browned, take them out of the pan and reserve them on the extra plate temporarily while we make the sauce. Add the mushrooms and shallots to the pan, and perhaps a tiny bit more oil if needed. Cook these down until the mushrooms release their moisture and begin to brown, being careful not to burn the shallot. You could even add the shallot in a little later if you want, once the mushrooms start to sweat. Then pour the marsala wine into the pan to de-glaze it, and as it reduces down a bit, throw in a few knobs of butter and return the chicken to the pan. Flip the chicken in the sauce so it's coated on all sides and let everything simmer over a medium low heat until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened up (the flour on the chicken will help with this). About a minute or so before it's done, throw in the fresh parsley and mix it into the sauce too. That's it! It's ready to serve. I like to serve mine with mashed potatoes - which you could make in advance.

Chicken Marsala would be a good dish to try out, or it's close cousin, Chicken Picatta.
I posted a Chicken Marsala recipe recently in another thread. The main difference in my version is that I don't flatten the thighs. Also I add flour when the onions are cooked to thicken the sauce and then add part cooked mushrooms later. I sometimes substitute a (cheaper!) medium sherry for the Marsala.

Back
Top Bottom