Low carb but filling

ally79

Veteran
Local time
12:53 PM
I need some suggestions for some fairly inexpensive low carb meals that will fill you up. We are just so tired of eating the same meals all of the time, but we have got to find something filling that isn't strictly meat. I simply can't afford to do that anymore.

Have you tried replacing meat with soya chunks or soya mince. The TVP stuff. It is much cheaper and if prepared correctly quite tasty. We always soak & cook ours in veg stock. And in one of our meals, and sauce to go over noodles, we would very off the cooked soya chunks before the veg was added to be cooked (in the same way you would cook mince before adding any veg). There is also a good range of marinated tofu some in blocks and some in chunks nowadays which would do much the same thing.

Beans are a great source of fiber and are low carb. I really like garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and they seem to be one of the most filling because of their fiber content. Using a whole grain instead of a white grain will also get you more fiber, so you will get fuller on a smaller portion.

Try using brown rice. I admit it's not as good as regular white rice but it's not that bad. If you dislike it then just fill up with lots of vegetable instead. I usually substitute or interchange my options of carbs and vegetables when I'm trying to cut on carbs. That way I get to still fill up without the guilt and I enjoy eating vegetables anyway.

Won't the brown rice still upset blood sugar?
Maybe you can try spaghetti squash. It is a low carb version of pasta that you can add any sauce you like to. It is not that expensive and tastes really good. You just cut the squash in half, bake it and use a fork to pull out all the spaghetti noodles.

Won't the brown rice still upset blood sugar?

I am pretty certain that the brown rice verses white rice argument is the same as the one between fruit juice and the whole fruit, in that the fibre present in the brown rice (removed to make white rice) shows down the rapid absorption of the sugars hence being better for you in that sense. It stops the sudden sugar rush. I'll have a dig and see if I can find some articles.

Add coconut oil and milk to your foods, it is super to keep blood sugar down, high in nutrition and good for digestion and cub appetite as it actually fills you up.
Brussels sprouts are high in protein, there is a variety of ways to cook it and to add into sauce and casseroles. As well as green peas, that also have the "happy stuff" in them, like cocoa.
Rutabaga is also high in fiber and protein as well as chock full of vitamin C, and you can slow cook it and grill it like fish sticks and use instead of meat.
Cauliflower is a great addition to stuff too, and you can actually mash it up and use it instead of potato mash, or add it into potato mash, it also has a high content of vitamins , fiber and nice amount of protein.

Back
Top Bottom