Low FODMAP diets

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
1:16 PM
Is anyone on a low FODMAP diet? I'm supposed :( to be following one and I'm looking for others who I can share the pain with... (and, of course, recipes)

Any resources that are helpful? And do you keep a food diary and track symptoms? I'm using an app called FODMAP A to Z to see if ingredients are low FODMAP or not and I used to track what I eat but I got tired of that. Also starting to browse specific low FODMAP recipes but I have to admit I'm not being as careful as I should be, there's so many foods to avoid!

Is anyone on a low FODMAP diet? I'm supposed :( to be following one and I'm looking for others who I can share the pain with... (and, of course, recipes)

Any resources that are helpful? And do you keep a food diary and track symptoms? I'm using an app called FODMAP A to Z to see if ingredients are low FODMAP or not and I used to track what I eat but I got tired of that. Also starting to browse specific low FODMAP recipes but I have to admit I'm not being as careful as I should be, there's so many foods to avoid!

I'm a bloke, never been on a diet in my life, whereas my wife has been on one her whole life. No bread (or little) minimal potatoes and chips. I think you women worry too much about weight? Unless you have allergies or something. I will follow this thread.

Russ

I had to look that up. The first page of search engine results was full of companies trying to profit from promoting this diet - not a good sign. As diets go, it seems a bit experimental, but I'm all in favour of cutting out sugar, simple carbs and artificial additives. Since when did broccoli become a bad boy though? Anyway, good luck with it, and I hope it helps :)

Hello :) My doctor thinks I have irritable bowel syndrome and advised on this diet. FODMAPs are foods that aren't well absorbed by the body causing gastric distress.The list of high FODMAP foods is broad and seems to include everything and anything under the sun, from bread to certain fruits.

I'm the kind of person who thinks food intolerances are just a fad. But I've been able to see good results from reducing the intake of some high FODMAP foods, and some foods I can clearly associate with an increase in symptoms. There are some foods that must completely avoided and some foods that can be well tolerated if eaten in small quantities which to me just makes it harder because keeping track of what I eat is just burdensome.

I find this diet very difficult to follow, but it's better than having to take medication and it does work. And scientific studies seem to point that it's an effective diet for irritable bowel syndrome.

Maybe just focus on cutting out the obvious things and don't stress too much about the obscure ingredients? Wheat and sugar should be easy enough, and if that represents 80% of what you need to avoid maybe it will make a big difference. I don't have IBS, but since cutting out carbs for the past 2 months I have noticed a marked improvement in digestive health.

Maybe just focus on cutting out the obvious things and don't stress too much about the obscure ingredients? Wheat and sugar should be easy enough, and if that represents 80% of what you need to avoid maybe it will make a big difference. I don't have IBS, but since cutting out carbs for the past 2 months I have noticed a marked improvement in digestive health.

Hi Epicuric, yes, I know a couple of people who say their digestive symptoms have improved from reducing their intake of gluten, gluten intolerance is probably more common than I thought. On my end I'm doing a "modified" version of the low FODMAP diet where I cut back, or eliminated completely, some of the obvious (bread, onions) but I'm still having some issues. Breakfast is hard, I'm trying to stay away from gluten-free bread as it's very expensive and usually full of additives (I don't trust bread that has a 6 months expiration date...). Corn bread didn't improve much and cornflakes leave me starving...

On the other meals, I sometimes indulge and simply accept the consequences :D

My other half has to avoid half the planet, including too many fodmaps.

For bread-like things, we've found two main recipes that work for vaguely bread like things :

Cassava flour "wraps": AIP Grain-Free Cassava Flour Tortillas You can flavour these with stuff, rosemary or whatever, and you could make them in the evening to have in the morning.
Tapioca Crepes: Learn How to Make Brazilian Crepes With Tapioca Flour
I'd also look at potato scones to see if they're possible for you to arrange with leftover potato with some tapioca/cassava flour.

Back
Top Bottom