Low sodium isn't as easy as it sounds

polgara

Veteran
Local time
4:11 AM
I have moved in with my 90-year-old grandmother to enable her to stay at home and not have to be in a nursing home. She needs to be on a low-sodium diet due mainly to kidney disease and congestive heart failure. Her nephrologist recommends keeping her diet to about 2000 mg of sodium daily. This sounded like a lot until I started really paying attention to food labels! It is definitely harder than it sounded, particularly with her loving margarine at 120 mg of sodium per tablespoon.

Plain simply cooked fresh foods, no processed foods at all sounds easy but strangly it's hard
I was asked to do a reduced salt meal lately as a one off its easy long term , it's got to be a challenge

Butter has a much better smell & taste than margarine. Just use in moderation to keep out of the dangers of unhealthy eating. :wink:

Fresh food is the way to go. Stay away from processed food which is high in salt. Look st labels in everything. There is a low sodium solution in the UK called low salt. Its lowere in sodium than regular salt, but the bottom line is fresh food not processed.

But SOME salt is necessary in some cases. Food can often be too fresh to the point where it can taste bland, flat & unappealing!
I don't like food that's too salty, but I DO add just a little bit to take out the extreme freshness & bland taste. :yuck: :stop:

I have moved in with my 90-year-old grandmother to enable her to stay at home and not have to be in a nursing home. She needs to be on a low-sodium diet due mainly to kidney disease and congestive heart failure. Her nephrologist recommends keeping her diet to about 2000 mg of sodium daily. This sounded like a lot until I started really paying attention to food labels! It is definitely harder than it sounded, particularly with her loving margarine at 120 mg of sodium per tablespoon.
Salt is hard to get off of because it's already in most packaged goods, I am learning to use more spices from Asia and india that taste good without all the salt. Celery is also a good replacement for salt, I'm fight with salt myself.

Eating a low sodium diet can be hard but it is possible. A lot of canned goods are loaded with sodium. I usually pour the water off of my canned vegetables if I can not afford to purchase frozen or fresh. Let's not mention snacks. I mean chips, popcorn, & other snacks are loaded with salt but there are other alternatives. I look for canned goods with no or low sodium. There are even snacks with low sodium. Then in terms of seasoning my food, I try to use more herbs like Mrs. Dash instead of salt or very little salt.

Back
Top Bottom