Lumpia wrappers

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
1:53 AM
Would anyone give me some advice on how to deal with Lumpia wrappers. They come in frozen stacks and you have to thaw them and ever so gently pull them apart. When I do this half of them rip apart, so what am I doing wrong here?

This is somewhat related to the super thin and transparent Vietnamese wrappers. You have to wet your hands and make sure the wrappers are pliable by spraying a bit of mist in them to avoid breakage. You can also create your own from scratch all you need is flour, salt and water. Similar to making dumpling dough but thinner

Lumpia wrapper is actually the wrapper for spring rolls. There are 2 types of that wrapper - the egg type which is expensive and the starch type which is cheap and very thin like a film. That cheap wrapper is very hard to separate and more often it is ruined with a big tear. What we do is to let it out of the fridge for a time and soak it in the room temperature air. After an hour, the thin wrappers would be easy to separate. For best result, you separate it when you buy it before putting in the fridge.

I have always found that once they are completely thawed they comes apart more easily. You still have to be very careful though because they will rip if you try to do it too quickly.
I prefer to by the egg type ones because they are so much easier to work with. Even though they are more expensive they are well worth the extra money that it costs to buy them

Rice paper wrappers. Sounds familiar, hmmm, it seems like I had seen a documentary on tv about rice paper wrappers made by a Vietnamese. It is a mix of paste which I did not see the entire procedure. The paste is applied on a wooden plate and heated for a short time then harvested as a thin wrapper. But the lumpia wrapper is a different one from that rice paper wrappers that was made in Vietnam. But anyway, I am going to Vietnam next month so probably I can get more details on this rice paper.

Thanks for your tips everyone! My mom learned how to make Lumpia a long time ago when she had a friend who was Filipino. She has since taught me how to make them, but the wrappers have been the bain of my existence. The other problem I have is keeping them from drying out once they have thawed. I learned that Lumpia involves very precise timing to get all of it right!

Back
Top Bottom