Lumpia

bandit1619

Local time
7:14 AM
Anyone out there with knowledge on Filipino food, specifically Lumpia please? Many, many years ago a sergeant of mine was married to a Filipino woman. He would have us over for dinners from time to time. One of the dishes his wife would make was Lumpia. However, she seemed to make her's a tad different. It was kind of semi-casserole style. She'd roll, form, etc., the individual Lumpia but then place them in a casserole dish. Due to the time that has passed, I can't remember a number of specifics such as; if she added the sauce before or after baking, temp, time and such. If anyone is familiar with this particular style/recipe, would so appreciate it if you could pass it along. I've tried it myself at home and ordered it at various eateries a few times (quite difficult to find Lumpia except downtown in big cities) with zero success in regards to the awesome flavor of her dish. Thank you.

I think that lumpia originated in Indonesia although I had my first taste of it in Rotterdam.

Windigo may be able to assist.

I've since had lumpia in Malaysia but, despite numerous visits, not in Indonesia (nor Philippines).

Last edited:
I think that lumpia originated in Indonesia although I had my first taste of it in Rotterdam.

Windigo may be able to assist.
The original lumpia comes from China, and has spread through Asia to the Fillipines, Vietnam, Indonesia and Thailand. Every country has their own way of making lumpia. The OP is asking specifically about Filipino lumpia, which I know not too much about.

This is a typical Filipino lumpia: Lumpiang ubod - Wikipedia , which is very different from the fried lumpia I am used to.

There is also a fried version: Lumpiang Shanghai - Wikipedia it seems that bandit1619 may be talking about this.

Also, I have never made lumpia myself as they are very popular here and for sale on almost every street corner. Dutch may be known for their conservative food, but they love lumpia. We can buy it at every market.

If you are having trouble finding lumpia at restaurants, you can try buying packaged lumpia which is available on the web, or make your own, after buying lumpia wrappers, which again, are available.

Thanks Yorky. Your recipe is a keeper for sure. Phyllo pastry is something I've not heard of for making a spring roll. Couldn't open your page on making them. Do you brush the phyllo with butter between layers or just use 1 sheet. Do you bake or deep fry, they look deepfried. I stayed with a lovely family homestay in Delhi when I was there and we made samosa. The Mother made the flakiest pastry that was devine, never forget that.

Thanks Yorky. Your recipe is a keeper for sure. Phyllo pastry is something I've not heard of for making a spring roll. Couldn't open your page on making them. Do you brush the phyllo with butter between layers or just use 1 sheet. Do you bake or deep fry, they look deepfried. I stayed with a lovely family homestay in Delhi when I was there and we made samosa. The Mother made the flakiest pastry that was devine, never forget that.

It's actually called Spring Roll Pastry ("Kulit Popia"out of Malaysia) here. My wife doesn't use butter but uses beaten egg to "seal".

I've only once tried air frying which was a mistake. Deep frying mainly.

We had dinner with our Lebanese agent in Doha once and his wife served tiny triangular samosas. I asked her how she made them that small without them falling apart. She said "I make the filling (meaning she told the cook to make the filling) and then the filling is sent around to the local baker who completes the samosas".

Back
Top Bottom