Mac and cheese with a twist

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
9:07 PM
I just learned of a restaurant in New York that specializes in different varieties of mac and cheese. They offer kinds like burger, BBQ, and chicken and bacon mac and cheese. Have you made your own variety of this classic dish?

I think everyone has their own way of making mac and cheese, and of course putting other things in it, or eating it with other things. I have never made it with other things included, but rather eat it with other things on the side like sausages etc.

Oh wow, that sounds delicious - a bit of a twist on your plain regular mac and cheese!

I honestly can't remember the last time I made mac and cheese myself. The only times we really have it are at big family pot-luck style get togethers like Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I sometimes put crispy fried bacon in it or some little chunks of ham or chopped leeks softened in butter. I also do a blue cheese version. Oh, and a few tomatoes on the top. I suppose you can add many things - but if you aren't careful it stops being an ultimate comfort food: it should be creamy and unctuous and slip down easily....

We never really speak of mac and cheese in my country. We always speak of a macaroni pie so I suppose that's our twist. I've know of people adding hot dogs or maybe ham, but in my case I like MY classic macaroni pie with my own twist/take.

In the UK it was always called Macaroni Cheese but recently, the American term 'Mac and Cheese' has crept in as well.

I created my own version that I am going to try when I go grocery shopping later in the week. I am going to make a Velveta baked mac and cheese with diced rib eye steak and grilled onions mixed in. I bet it will taste phenomenal. If I pull it off I will post instructions!

I have never really thought of putting a twist in the traditional Mac and Cheese. My son loves Mac and Cheese. I make it from scratch for him and he can finish one whole big plate by himself and he's only a year old lol. It might be a good idea to add some variety to it. Adding bacons can be good. But I think he cannot chew on that yet. Maybe I can add some vegetables which would make the dish healthier!

Freshly grated horseradish in the mix,maybe a bit of tarragon
I make a Mac cheese mix add egg yolks and leeks then place in Dariolle
Moulds and cook in a Bain Marie and the mix sets and you can turn them out serve with fresh Parmesan and tomato coullis

I sometimes add fresh tomatoes or green pepper the mac and cheese. I think it is always healthy to add vegetables to a dish when possible. I mean mac and cheese is not without redeeming value as a meal, but adding veggies to make it a bit more healthy is something that is good to do. It also gives it a slightly different taste.

When we got a glut of butternut squashes in the veg box a couple of years go I was desperately looking for new ways to eat them (because neither of us are particularly fans of squash) and I came across a recipe which mixed roasted butternut squash with the cheese sauce in a macaroni cheese. It works really well - it helps thicken the sauce and adds a nice background flavour and somehow seems to intensify the cheesy flavour of the sauce. I've also fed it to confessed vegetable-haters and they didn't even realise it was there LOL because it tasted just like ordinary macaroni cheese.

I also sometimes add fried onions and sliced up hot dogs if I want to mix things up a bit - hot dogs are better than sausages because they don't leak so much fat into the sauce.

There are a variety of ways to make the good classic mac n cheese. Though, the only extreme moment I had was when I put bacon, diced mushrooms, and green peppers in it. It isn't a lie when they say that bacon can make anything better. I am a testament that can not be denied of the power of bacon!

Just done some work for a up coming food chain ,and we put Mac cheese with spinach mushrooms and white truffle baked in a old school blue and white enamel pie tin

Just done some work for a up coming food chain ,and we put Mac cheese with spinach mushrooms and white truffle baked in a old school blue and white enamel pie tin
Sounds like a cut above the normal High Street food chain. White truffle! :eek:. I use those lovely old enamelled pie tins too. They are great for conducting heat and very easy to clean. Made this yesterday. Nothing fancy, just potato layered with minced garlic, butter and fresh thyme. Could enter it into @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's competition I suppose. But I don't want to be competing only against myself!!!!

DSCF2273.jpg

That white truffle mac and cheese is crazy!! Must be so yuuummy, I'd like to get my hands on that. I've only ever done bacon mac and cheese, beef mac and cheese, and a pesto version. Does anyone have a white truffle recipe?

Back
Top Bottom