Maghrebi Harissa: Hot Chili Pepper Dip / Paste

Francesca

Local time
5:14 AM
During the Spanish occupation of Tunisia, in 1535 - 1574, and the affiliation with Morocco (Maghrebi), Libya, Algeria and Tunisia, this chili pepper dip from the Barbary Coast, has traversed the Mediterranean and the globe.

The Ingredients needed for traditional Maghrebi ( Moroccan ) Harissa are:

100 grams of dried tiny 1 inch in length or less, red chili peppers ( guindillas which crumble and are a staple in La Vera, Extremadura, Spain ) are exported world wide to Latin Markets ..
6 Cloves of minced Garlic
1/3 Cup of Cumin - ground dried powder
1/ 3 Cup of Cilantro / Coriander ground dried
2/ 3 Cup Evoo, preferably Spanish or Moroccan
12 Saffron Threads ( Soak in a tiny bowl of mineral wáter for 15 minutes and reserve wáter)
Bakhouti, which are red and Green horn shaped hot chili peppers with tapered pod ( these can be purchased at a Moroccan Market ) or a Latin American Sub can be used .. De-seed and mince.
Rose Water ( 2 tablespoons ) or edible Rose petals dried ( a handful )
Salt to taste

1) Place all of these dry ingredients, the garlic, and the Bakhouti & saffron in the wáter in a Food Processor and combine or use a stand up mixer or if ambitious, and a large Mortar and Pestle.

2) Now, add the Evoo extremely slowly and gently, and combine until you have a gorgeous chili red pepper paste ..

Harissa can be served with kebabs, cous cous & chick peas and with fresh fish ..

Enjoy .. It is amazingly wonderful ..

Last edited:
@morning glory

Having spent 2 weeks in Morocco, I had collected several recipes from Markets, Restaurants and Hotel Restaurants and each recipe had its nuances from Casablanca, Rabat, Tangier, Chefcaouen, Meknes, Azrou, Ifrane, Fes and Marrakech ..

Like in Iberia or Italy or France or Greece, Morocco is a Mediterranean country steeped profoundly in both the Moroccan culture and the Berber indigenious. Each having their subtle refinements and nuances on recipes.

I have tried as many as I have collected ! I liked this one the best ..

Try a few threads of Saffron .. Also deepens the gorgeous color too !

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom