Make-a-Mushroom: Cooking Methods

Shimus

Veteran
Local time
2:42 PM
How do you prepare your mushrooms? I personally prefer to steam them back to life and then make sure the water is boiling beneath them with scented sauces, ranging from but not limited to BBQ to RANCH. It will eventually take on the flavor as the vapor steams it into it them. I then love to dip them in crab cheese wanton fillings like most chinese buffets do. I could probably sit there and eat them all day long like this.

How do you like to prepare them? Sauteed? Steamed like me? Deep fried in a dough-like mixture like a blooming onion or awesome blossom? I know I like them pretty much any way they can be made.

I like to saute my mushrooms! I haven't tried anything else much with them but will surely try your way of preparing them, sounds interesting and delicious.

I don't think it has ever occurred to me to steam or boil them, though I suppose I do sometimes cook them in milk and oil.

I usually either bake them whole in the oven, grill them whole (as in UK grilling indoors where the heating element is above them) or saute them.

The family favourite is to quarter them, then fry them in sunflower or olive oil with it as hot as you can get it, cooking them until they squeak very loudly. One they start to brown add some chopped onions and drop the heat to a medium heat until the onions are cooked, then reduce the heat to minimum and keep them warm until ready to serve on toast or Staffordshire oatcakes.

I don't think it has ever occurred to me to steam or boil them, though I suppose I do sometimes cook them in milk and oil.

I usually either bake them whole in the oven, grill them whole (as in UK grilling indoors where the heating element is above them) or saute them.

The family favourite is to quarter them, then fry them in sunflower or olive oil with it as hot as you can get it, cooking them until they squeak very loudly. One they start to brown add some chopped onions and drop the heat to a medium heat until the onions are cooked, then reduce the heat to minimum and keep them warm until ready to serve on toast or Staffordshire oatcakes.

Do you find that different oils cook them differently? What I mean is that I can usually get them browned and crisped if I saute them in butter, but I can't get them brown at all if I use olive oil. Is there an ideal way they should be sautéd, especially to crisp them and prevent them from getting all soggy?

Do you find that different oils cook them differently? What I mean is that I can usually get them browned and crisped if I saute them in butter, but I can't get them brown at all if I use olive oil. Is there an ideal way they should be sautéd, especially to crisp them and prevent them from getting all soggy?
I usually use olive oil and have no problems getting them to go brown. Usually the absorb all of the oil like blotting paper and you are then left with a dryish pan which aids getting the pan really hot and browning them.

I usually use olive oil and have no problems getting them to go brown. Usually the absorb all of the oil like blotting paper and you are then left with a dryish pan which aids getting the pan really hot and browning them.

In my experience virgin olive oil is one of the best oil to use when you want to get mushrooms to go brown! I have had very great experience with olive oil and frying different types of vegetables really so give it a try.

Thanks guys I will try the olive oil again. Maybe I am afraid to turn the heat up too much with olive oil because I have had the oil burn before. I'm not sure what I've been doing wrong.

i dry mushroom in season at the glut,and use these as a powder or rehydrate as needed,good fresh mushrooms need only butter to cook and salt and pepper at the end,sliced on toast with a poached egg

sliced on toast, with poached eggs. I've tried this, but they weren't poached just scrambled so it came out like an omelette on bread. But poaching the egg may give it that sense of runny that would flavor the whole mushroom. Hmm. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom