Making Beer.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
7:26 AM
001.JPG
Have any of you ever tried making your own beer?

I began doing it in January, and I found it to be a good hobby to do in my spare time! It has been coming out good on just about every batch! I'm making my 4th or 5th one now! :wink:

That is a really interesting looking contraption! I had never seen anything like that before. It has me wondering a few things now:

1.) How long does it take for a batch of beer to be ready? A few days? A few weeks? A few months? I'm assuming nothing close to a year since you mentioned you are on your 4th or 5th batch.

2.) Does it keep the beer fizzy once you start pouring drinks from it? Or do you need to immediately bottle the beer that comes from it?

3.) Do you run into any problems with sediment at the bottom of your beer? My friend has made batches of it in the past, but there was always a sandy-like sediment at the bottom which was not very pleasant, so he was reluctant to serve it to guests.

4.) Any idea of the strength of the beer? Does it give you any control to make it stronger?

That is a really interesting looking contraption! I had never seen anything like that before. It has me wondering a few things now:

1.) How long does it take for a batch of beer to be ready? A few days? A few weeks? A few months? I'm assuming nothing close to a year since you mentioned you are on your 4th or 5th batch.

2.) Does it keep the beer fizzy once you start pouring drinks from it? Or do you need to immediately bottle the beer that comes from it?

3.) Do you run into any problems with sediment at the bottom of your beer? My friend has made batches of it in the past, but there was always a sandy-like sediment at the bottom which was not very pleasant, so he was reluctant to serve it to guests.

4.) Any idea of the strength of the beer? Does it give you any control to make it stronger?

That is just the fermenter that you see in the pic above. It ferments the beer first.

First, you must sanitize everything that will come in contact with the wort & the beer, including any utensils that you might use (sanitizer comes with each batch of beer).

You add one gallon of cold water into the fermenter, bring 3 cups of water to the boiling point, remove it from heat, add the 2 cans of base to the hot water. This is now called the wort.

Stir the wort until it is fully incorporated with the hot water. Pour this into the cold water in the fermenter. Add enough cold water up to the 8.5 mark on the fermenter. Stir mixture. Add the supplied packet of yeast.

Then you wait for the fermentation process to begin. Once that happens, about a few days will have gone by. Wait for a total of about 1-1/2 weeks. Fermentayion will have stopped and the beer should be ready for bottling. Saintize the inside on the bottles. You will need 8 supplied 32-oz plastic bottles & plastic caps (Bottles & caps can safely be reused over & over again).

Add 2-1/2 teaspoons of sugar to the bottom of each bottle. Add beer to each bottle up to the bottom of the neck. Cap bottles and gently invert each one back & forth to evenly distribute sugar. The sugar in the bottles with the beer is the carbonation process. Wait about a week more. Test each bottle for firmness by gently squeezing each one. They should feel hard like a new unopened bottle of soda. Chill in fridge for at least 24 hours. The beer is then ready to enjoy!!

Think that you can do it? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom