JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:02 AM
[Mod.Edit: this and the following few posts moved to start a new thread (MG)]

So I tried to make homemade crackers today using the Pioneer Woman's recipe:

How to Make Crackers

I do NOT recommend this recipe.

A quote from the webpage: "To make homemade crackers, all you need is a few simple ingredients and a little time. These crackers come out thin, crisp, and delicate. A great addition to any party."

She claimed that they would be light and crispy with rolling them out to 1/8" thick. I rolled them out a little thinner. They were dense and had a hard crunch, not crispy and light as promised. I thought it was weird that there was no leavening agent and that the recipe called for AP flour. I originally wanted to make them into "everything seasoning" crackers to go with salmon dip, but I figured I had better make a trial batch to make sure that they were good before wasting sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc. as a topping, so I only made a half batch and used a basic sea salt and olive oil topping. I pierced them with a fork and followed the recipe to a tee, but it was an epic fail. Ah well. Time to research more recipes.

I looked around CB website using the search feature but did not see any cracker recipes. Has anyone made homemade crackers? Anyone here have a good cracker recipe for light, crisp crackers? I do want it to have a teensy bit of heft to hold up under the weight of a dip, but not dense with a hard crunch like these.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I tried to make homemade crackers today using the Pioneer Woman's recipe:

How to Make Crackers

I do NOT recommend this recipe.

A quote from the webpage: "To make homemade crackers, all you need is a few simple ingredients and a little time. These crackers come out thin, crisp, and delicate. A great addition to any party."

She claimed that they would be light and crispy with rolling them out to 1/8" thick. I rolled them out a little thinner. They were dense and had a hard crunch, not crispy and light as promised. I thought it was weird that there was no leavening agent and that the recipe called for AP flour. I originally wanted to make them into "everything seasoning" crackers to go with salmon dip, but I figured I had better make a trial batch to make sure that they were good before wasting sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc. as a topping, so I only made a half batch and used a basic sea salt and olive oil topping. I pierced them with a fork and followed the recipe to a tee, but it was an epic fail. Ah well. Time to research more recipes.

I looked around CB website using the search feature but did not see any cracker recipes. Has anyone made homemade crackers? Anyone here have a good cracker recipe for light, crisp crackers? I do want it to have a teensy bit of heft to hold up under the weight of a dip, but not dense with a hard crunch like these.
That's one of those things on my list, as it seems easy enough. Maybe not, though... 🤔

That's one of those things on my list, as it seems easy enough. Maybe not, though... 🤔
Well I ran out of boxed crackers and need absolutely nothing else from the store but crackers. And yeah, I figured it should be easy.

When you make cracker crust pizza dough, do you use any leavening agent at all? How do your crusts come out? When people make flatbreads and Naan breads, do they have any leavening agent? I am just trying to figure out how to get a crisp bite! My familiarity with breadmaking and homemade pizza crusts all have yeast in them so whenever I want a thin crust pizza I just buy one from the pizzeria or buy a premade crust or a frozen pizza. I have made flatbread pizzas buying the flatbread premade from the bakery at the grocery store and it came out great. Even when I make my quick preparation cheat bagels with no yeast, I use baking powder. And I think that saltines have baking soda in them, aren't they AKA soda crackers?

When you make cracker crust pizza dough, do you use any leavening agent at all? How do your crusts come out?
Just AP flour, baking powder, salt, and water. It's called a cracker crust, but it's not exactly like, say, a saltine. It's still more chewy that crunchy, of course (it's pizza, after all), but it has a certain...flakiness like a saltine, and a bit of bubbling.

Just AP flour, baking powder, salt, and water. It's called a cracker crust, but it's not exactly like, say, a saltine. It's still more chewy that crunchy, of course (it's pizza, after all), but it has a certain...flakiness like a saltine, and a bit of bubbling.
Well that makes more sense. I want flaky in my crackers and pizza dough (not my people, though).

Didn't her crackers look like darkly browned and overcooked tortilla chips? I hope they taste better than they look.

Edited to add it's the same recipe cut in half, with the dough rolled out thinner.
Sorry, I probably just noticed the flour. I did think they looked thin, but I figured that would solve the crunchy problem. :)

Check this out, a copycat of Ritz crackers, which looks like a similar recipe, but more butter to make them flaky. Maybe that would work:

Homemade Ritz Crackers Recipe

Sorry, I probably just noticed the flour. I did think they looked thin, but I figured that would solve the crunchy problem. :)

Check this out, a copycat of Ritz crackers, which looks like a similar recipe, but more butter to make them flaky. Maybe that would work:

Homemade Ritz Crackers Recipe
I prefer Ritz type crackers, that and club crackers. I think buttery crackers might be the perfect ones for me.

Edited to add the recipe uses baking powder, which makes sense for a lighter texture. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about trying to.make a rice cracker. One of the contestants on Hell's Kitchen made a rice cracker to go with, I think, a tuna dish. Gordon really liked her cracker. Too bad they don't give recipes. I was going to attempt 1 next time I make sushi kushi, which is a tuna tartare type dish. I was going to use either furikake or togarashi as the seasoning. Guess I'll be doing a trial run after your experience.

I've been thinking about trying to.make a rice cracker. One of the contestants on Hell's Kitchen made a rice cracker to go with, I think, a tuna dish. Gordon really liked her cracker. Too bad they don't give recipes. I was going to attempt 1 next time I make sushi kushi, which is a tuna tartare type dish. I was going to use either furikake or togarashi as the seasoning. Guess I'll be doing a trial run after your experience.
I had to look that up...

I like the idea of the furikake, but on the fence about the dried fish flakes (makes me think of aquarium fish food). I'd try it, though. Looks like togarashi has ginger, not a fan. But, since these seasonings can be made from scratch I could just leave out or substitute what I didn't like.

I was also thinking since rice flour is much lighter, maybe the crackers will be too.

Back
Top Bottom