Recipe Making Frosting for the First Time

MayFox

Veteran
Local time
9:58 PM
This is my first experience making frost, vanilla to be exact. I decided to give it a try after my sister-in-law's second birthday party just last week when her grandma brought a homemade cake with homemade frosting. The frosting was amazing! Sweet, but not over powering, light with a to-die-for buttery after taste. I wanted to learn how to make it, not only to save a little money, but to learn to make something from scratch. And so, when the non-profit group I'm associated with, does some for one of the local festivals I can offer baked goods that are from scratch that leave people satisfied like my grandma-in-laws cake did.

In this process, I had to make my own confectioner's sugar.

Confectioner's Sugar: For 1 cup
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

You can use either a blender or a food processor. When using the blender you are going to set it to Pulse or Blend for about 30 seconds. I used the food processor, which wasn't as fast, because I had to do about 4 cycles of 30 seconds to get it to the consistency that looked, and felt, correct. Now, that could be a little different depending on brand, and how old the machine is. General, you are going to want it to be fine and smooth. Mine could have been a bit finer I think. Once you have the right consistency, sift it into a bowl or container for storage.

Frosting: 1 cup
2 cups of Confectioner's Sugar
2 tablespoons of Butter; soften
2 tablespoons of Milk (I used 2%)
1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla (I used 1 teaspoon)

You place all the ingredients into the bowl before beating them at Medium speed until fluffy and smooth. Now, no one told me that it was going to take almost an hour to do so. I'm at the hour or so mark, and it's just starting to get smoothish. I had to stop for a break and discovered that everyone in the house is napping. I don't want to wake them so I may try a wisp, but that seems awfully brave.

So far, I think it's going to turn out amazing. I will definitely get pictures to share once it is finished, but I wanted to go ahead and share my receipt with you all.

Back
Top Bottom