Making home-made custard

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:32 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Is there any reason as to why you only use the yolks when making custard? I'm just wondering because I hate waste and don't have any other use for the whites at the moment and can't help wondering why the whites are not used as well.

Is there any reason as to why you only use the yolks when making custard? I'm just wondering because I hate waste and don't have any other use for the whites at the moment and can't help wondering why the whites are not used as well.

Egg whites can be frozen to use later for meringue

You'd probably end up with scrambled eggs if you used the whites! When you make chocolate mousse, the whites are used as well as the yolk, but in that cast they are whipped separately and folded in to produce an aerated texture.

Have you tried making Bird's type custard yourself? All that is in it as cornflour, colouring and vanilla flavour. You could make a vegan verion using almond milk and possibly colour it with a little turmeric! I may try it myself...

Well I tried it with my usual method of making custard and there was no difference.
I heated up 250ml of original Almond milk with 1/2 tsp vanilla paste and roughly 20g jaggery in a saucepan. Brought it to the point of boiling and took it off the heat. Meanwhile I had mixed 2 tablespoons of rice flour with the single whole egg cracked into a small bowl. I didn't whisk the egg first, saw no point. I used the small whisk to beat the egg and four together thoroughly. Then I added a small amount of the milk mixture beating well. Added some more, beat again and then the rest. Returned to the pan, brought back to the boil whilst whisking all the time and then simmered for a few minutes before serving. No issues with egg white looking at me, no issues with scrambled egg etc. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. So I will use whole egg in future.
Egg whites can be frozen to use later for meringue
I could freeze the egg whites but, tbh other than adding to a scrambled egg or quiche which in not making that often, I would have little use for them other than feeding back to the birds. Meringue is simply something I don't make, no cream to go with it being allergic to dairy; though I could try a cashew nut based one, they are hard to get thick enough and I don't like that amount of sugar. Perhaps I should have said that in the op? Thanks for the suggestion though :okay:

Have you tried making Bird's type custard yourself? All that is in it as cornflour, colouring and vanilla flavour. You could make a vegan verion using almond milk and possibly colour it with a little turmeric! I may try it myself...
It doesn't exist as far as I can tell. The one I found in the health food shop was my favourite one from the UK, but 4 times the price. it had now run out and they don't have anymore and stock is irregular to say the least. Last time I was there they had none, didn't expect any back in and also didn't have any soya cream in, but strangely I can easily get a condensed milk or evaporated milk that are both dairy free made with coconut milk. Both are readily available in the supermarket we do our weekly shop in. I've never seen either in the UK!

It doesn't exist as far as I can tell. The one I found in the health food shop was my favourite one from the UK, but 4 times the price. it had now run out and they don't have anymore and stock is irregular to say the least. Last time I was there they had none, didn't expect any back in and also didn't have any soya cream in, but strangely I can easily get a condensed milk or evaporated milk that are both dairy free made with coconut milk. Both are readily available in the supermarket we do our weekly shop in. I've never seen either in the UK!
Are you referring to almond milk? Almond Breeze is available in Australia.

Are you referring to almond milk? Almond Breeze is available in Australia.
Sorry, no. The birds eye custard powder. I've not seen any that I'm aware of. Almond breeze I buy when on offer in bulk. AB also comes in a variety of other combinations here as well. In particular there is a combined Almond and cashew nut milk version!

Sorry, no. The birds eye custard powder. I've not seen any that I'm aware of. Almond breeze I buy when on offer in bulk. AB also comes in a variety of other combinations here as well. In particular there is a combined Almond and cashew nut milk version!
But that's my point. Make it yourself using cornflour (cornstarch), adding vanilla and a little turmeric for colour when you mix in the milk. I'll try it out...

Well I tried it with my usual method of making custard and there was no difference.
I heated up 250ml of original Almond milk with 1/2 tsp vanilla paste and roughly 20g jaggery in a saucepan. Brought it to the point of boiling and took it off the heat. Meanwhile I had mixed 2 tablespoons of rice flour with the single whole egg cracked into a small bowl. I didn't whisk the egg first, saw no point. I used the small whisk to beat the egg and four together thoroughly. Then I added a small amount of the milk mixture beating well. Added some more, beat again and then the rest. Returned to the pan, brought back to the boil whilst whisking all the time and then simmered for a few minutes before serving. No issues with egg white looking at me, no issues with scrambled egg etc. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. So I will use whole egg in future.
That is very interesting as I was guessing they would curdle. :thumbsup:

But that's my point. Make it yourself using cornflour (cornstarch), adding vanilla and a little turmeric for colour when you mix in the milk. I'll try it out...

I haven't found what you and I know as cornflour only what the Aussie's know as cornflour which is maize flour to you and I. I could try that and at least it would be yellow but...

Maybe tomorrow I can make custard with sweetcorn?

:giggle:

:o_o:

I haven't found what you and I know as cornflour only what the Aussie's know as cornflour which is maize flour to you and I. I could try that and at least it would be yellow but...

Maybe tomorrow I can make custard with sweetcorn?

:giggle:

:o_o:
Maize flour is listed as the ingredient for Bird's Custard (I just checked!). :D Tesco's own brand uses cornflour.

New challenge recipe coming up and one I can make and photo. Shame my vanilla bean paste makes things brown thoug!! Guess I could omit it for the photo and then add it when I eat it? :mischievous grin:
Well, can't you just use infused vanilla beans? Perhaps you don't have any. Vanilla essence is simpler.

Maize flour is listed as the ingredient for Bird's Custard (I just checked!). :D Tesco's own brand uses cornflour.
"Bird's Custard is the brand name for the original powdered, egg-free imitation custard powder, now owned by Premier Foods. Custard powder or instant custard powder are the generic product names for similar and competing products. The product is a cornflour-based powder which thickens to form a custard-like sauce when mixed with milk and heated."

You want to watch a few more science programs, fuel-air explosions are worth watching. Better if you do them yourself though!

Back
Top Bottom