Making Tahina at home

Amateur1

Local time
1:33 PM
The Tahina I buy uses pale sesame seeds. I'd like to try with dark sesame seeds, so will probably need to buy the seeds and make my own. How would I do it using this blender?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Compact-FP120-Food-Processor/dp/B001C3DRDG/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2P636ZTWV9ZTM&keywords=kenwood+blender&qid=1661201864&sprefix=kenwood+bl,aps,64&sr=8-8&th=1

I also use this as a spice grinder.
Lakeland Electrical Coffee Grinder2 Jar Grind and Chop Black 13cm Dia. x 20.5 Centimetres : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Last edited:
No, I don't think it will.

Making black tahini is much like making any other nut or seed paste. You need a high speed, heavy duty grinder. Something that says and really means that it can make it. It is hard on the grinder, you'll need to add extra sesame oil as well (if you look at the ingredients you'll see oil is usually/always added). You'd probably be better off with a coffee bean grinder than says spices as well. My Breville one mentions that it can do small quantities of nuts and seeds as well, but I've never tried it because I have a Vitamix that does nuts. The one above will not give you a smooth paste. It's a food processor, nothing more and I think you'll kill the motor very quickly trying and failing. The seeds are simply too small.

You can buy black tahini in the UK. I suggest you try it before you invest in anything more expensive than a coffee/spice mill.
Unshelled sesame seeds rather than black sesame might be more of what i suspect you're after. It uses the whole seed, similar in concept to wholemeal flour verses white flour. But if it is black sesame tahini you're really after, try it first. I did and honestly haven't tried it a second time. Too bitter for my liking. Black sesame seeds are another matter. I do have those and include them in our diet, just not in tahini form.

I´m not clear what you mean by "pale" and "dark".
Do you mean "white" and "black"? In which case, you´re probably confusing two cultures.
Do you mean "white", ie. polished white sesame seeds? Or do you mean "dark" ie. unpolished white sesame seeds?
White are used in many cuisines across the Mediterranean, for example. Black, I´ve only seen in East Asian/Japanese cuisines.
Regardless:
You need to toast the sesame seeds very gently in the oven, and stir them around every 3-4 minutes, until they have barely started to change colour. You need to be very vigilant, otherwise they may toast and provide you with a wierd flavoured tahini.
Then you can blitz them, portion by portion in a spice grinder, or just the whole caboose, in a food processor.Keep adding oil until the required texture is obtained.

I´m not clear what you mean by "pale" and "dark".
Do you mean "white" and "black"? In which case, you´re probably confusing two cultures.
Just to make life fun, there are 3 versions of tahini. All 3 are in clear glass containers. All 3 are readily available in supermarkets here in Australia, but I suspect the OP will need a health food store for unhulled and black versions in the UK.

A tip for roasting black sesame seeds is to include 1tbsp of white or pale sesame seeds so that you can actually see the seeds roasting and to prevent burning. I roast mine in a dry frying pan over the stove which allows for better temperature control.

When I look at my tahini it says the ingredients are 100% roasted sesame seeds. How do they make it without oil?

When I look at my tahini it says the ingredients are 100% roasted sesame seeds. How do they make it without oil?
1 of 2 ways. Using sesame seed oil which is made from sesame seeds and thus not having to declare any other ingredients or 2, simply because industrial equipment can and does have the ability not to need added extra oil during the milling process.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom