Making your own Christmas Pudding

Cookie

Über Member
Local time
2:57 PM
Has anyone got a tried and tested favourite Christmas pudding recipe?
I could just look online or google it but I want something that people have tried and actually use.
Thanks

It is curious that you have raised this today. I'm in the middle of making my Christmas cake at the moment. next on my list is a Christmas pudding. I have never made them before so have no idea on recipes but I will be having a look through my usual recipe books and keeping an eye on this thread. I too would like a tried and tested recipe that I can adapt to my own needs.

Right time to leave the chooks to get on with laying eggs and get back to using up those eggs from the last 2 days... my cake needs 5 and they are warming up as we speak!

I have made Xmas puds. But to be really honest I reckon some of the shop bought ones are so good that its not really worth it. I usually buy one (Aldi has ranked top in some polls!) and souse it in brandy a few days before cooking it...

What pudding is it, exactly? :wink:
Its a famous steamed British pudding. Very dark, very rich indeed - full of fruit, spices and sometimes alcohol. Traditionally served 'flaming'. Like this:

images-40.jpeg

I have made Xmas puds. But to be really honest I reckon some of the shop bought ones are so good that its not really worth it. I usually buy one (Aldi has ranked top in some polls!) and souse it in brandy a few days before cooking it...
Yes it's hard to fault the quality of some shop bought ones. I often buy them cheap after Christmas and save them for the following year. However, this year my wife decided to make some using a Michel Roux Jr. recipe she found. Two are destined for elderly neighbours - probably easier on their dentures than the Christmas muffins I made last year!

Brandy? Sacrilege. Whisky please.

Yes it's hard to fault the quality of some shop bought ones. I often buy them cheap after Christmas and save them for the following year. However, this year my wife decided to make some using a Michel Roux Jr. recipe she found. Two are destined for elderly neighbours - probably easier on their dentures than the Christmas muffins I made last year!

It's really hard to fault them right up until you are in a country that does not do them and also if you can find any imported ones, they contain dairy which you are allergic to... Hence why I need to make one. And I have the fruit to hand having (partially) made the Christmas cake.

Do you have a recipe at all please @epicuric are they any good or is it the first time she has used this recipe?

Thanks
SNSSO

Brandy? Sacrilege. Whisky please.

It's really hard to fault them right up until you are in a country that does not do them and also if you can find any imported ones, they contain dairy which you are allergic to... Hence why I need to make one. And I have the fruit to hand having (partially) made the Christmas cake.

Do you have a recipe at all please @epicuric are they any good or is it the first time she has used this recipe?

Thanks
SNSSO
For some reason I can't cut and paste on this tablet so I hope I've typed the address correctly :

www.rouxatthelandau.com/#/recipes/roux-christmas-pudding

She's not used it before but I can't imagine it not being good. Presume you can get a vegetarian suet substitute? What would you serve with it, given that you are dairy free? Can you make a sauce using almond milk?

For some reason I can't cut and paste on this tablet so I hope I've typed the address correctly :

She's not used it before but I can't imagine it not being good. Presume you can get a vegetarian suet substitute? What would you serve with it, given that you are dairy free? Can you make a sauce using almond milk?
try using a share option... often there is a copy to clipboard . Sometimes it is a long hold on the address bar that selects it but I would need to know what OS and what web browser you are on to give more exact instructions.

Yes I have veg suet and I have soya cream. I can also make a almond milk custard which is great... so that is not a problem.

thank you. I have had a look at that and it seems that I have everything including enough time to make it! But I can't start it tomorrow because that would mean cooking both it and the Christmas Cake on Wednesday and my oven is simply not big enough for both, plus there seems to be a need for a bain-marie with the pudding, which my cake doesn't require complicating matters a touch! :whistling: I am touch confused by the ingredients list though. It lists 190g whole blanched almonds twice! (my bold).

500g Raisins
300g Sultanas
300g Currants
190g Whole blanched almonds
375g Suet
1 Orange, zest & juice
1 Lemon, zest & juice
1 Medium Carrot,
peeled & grated
1 Bramley apple, peeled &grated
200g Breadcrumbs
190g Whole blanched almonds
375g Light brown sugar

thank you. I have had a look at that and it seems that I have everything including enough time to make it! But I can't start it tomorrow because that would mean cooking both it and the Christmas Cake on Wednesday and my oven is simply not big enough for both, plus there seems to be a need for a bain-marie with the pudding, which my cake doesn't require complicating matters a touch! :whistling: I am touch confused by the ingredients list though. It lists 190g whole blanched almonds twice! (my bold).
I forgot to mention - my wife halved the quantities, and ended up with one large pudding (enough for 8-10) and two smaller puddings (enough for 4)

I forgot to mention - my wife halved the quantities, and ended up with one large pudding (enough for 8-10) and two smaller puddings (enough for 4)
Yep, I had seen that thankfully. I was looking at making 2 smaller ones with a half recipe! if I have enough suet that is. I'm not sure if the weight my oh purchased when he picked up 1 packet at the weekend. life will be dictated by that.

Back
Top Bottom