Making Your Own Stock

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:40 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
A lot of us make our own stocks. In fact, it's such a commonplace thing that I don't see many stock recipes posted. I did find two excellent ones, however:
I decided to start this thread because, after years of making stocks, I'm starting to question what I'm doing. Yes, the results are always good, but could they be better? Some questions I'm starting to ask:
  • How long should I cook the stock?
    • I've heard "2-4 hours", but there are differences of opinion on that point.
    • I sometimes take the stock off the stove after an hour if I'm pressed for time. I haven't noticed a loss of flavor when I do this, so I wonder whether I'm taking too long making the stock.
  • How long is too long?
    • I read that cooking too long can make the stock bitter.
    • I assume the real answer to that depends on whether you're making a stock with bones/shells vs. just using vegetables.
  • Are there ingredients I shouldn't use?
    • Are some ingredients more prone to turning acrid after simmering?
  • Do I need to simmer the stock, or can I cook it more quickly on medium heat without any loss in flavor?
    • I'm fairly certain the answer to this is that, yes, I need to simmer it, but I'm interested in hearing other opinions.
My standard stock recipe is something like this:

Ingredients

Meat bones or seafood shells, if using
6 cups of water
carrots, cleaned and chopped
celery, cleaned and chopped
onion, peeled, stem removed, and chopped
rosemary
salt <- I know many skip this, but I like adding some salt so I can properly taste it

Directions

1. Throw all ingredients in a large pot.

2. Bring to a boil.

3. Lower heat and simmer, cover on, for at least 2 hours

4. Strain through a sieve.

I rarely make my own stock, but when I do, it is similar to your method, without carrots (which I hate). I have not tried rosemary in a stock -- I may try that. I have used fresh thyme. I don't salt my stock. I salt the food I make with the stock. But, as you know, I have to be stingy with salt in my diet.

CD

I make my own chicken stock from real chicken for chicken croquettes, the stock is reserved and gelatine added and put back into the roux.
Mostly I use powdered stuff though.

Russ

I've never made beef or veal stock as we eat so little meat there are rarely bones. The beef 'gel' mini stock pots in the UK are excellent with no additives so I always use them.Chicken stock yes but I don't simmer it as long as 2 hours - maybe 45 min?. Shellfish yes, for this I pan roast/toast the shells add water/wine and simmer 20 mins. I don't find it needs longer.

we're light on the beef bones - I suppose I could save up by freezing them....
but chicken stock is my game - especially in cold weather - it's used for chicken noodle/rice/bean soup & chicken pot pie.

season and roast a whole chicken for dinner.
strip big chunks of meat for left overs - including the soup/pie.
simmer down the bones in water + charred up vegetables from the roasting - 4-5 hours. I judge by the joints & cartilage bits - if they are 'falling apart', it's done.
I want to max extract the collagen, and I'm not happy unless the stock is totally jelled after chilling . . .

after the bone simmer, strain the stock, fish out the bones, fine pick any meat left on the bones.
then fine sieve to remove any remaining not liquid bits from the stock.
chill, de-fat chilled stock - I use a shallow scooper (with holes) to simply lift the congealed fat off.

the French masters have very elaborate stock making techniques/methods/requirements.....

Back
Top Bottom