Man we love eggs

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:45 AM
we recently spent 12 days on holiday with son and his family. His wife is a hard worker raising 3 kids and working full time as well. We go away every year at Xmas. I do all the cooking to give my d.i.l a break. She told me she loves the break. I was commenting on eggs with satnav, and got me thinking.
While away we had cooked brekky almost every day. Kids had cereal mainly but also an egg or bacon was not unheard of. I gladly obliged them. We went through around 11 or 12 dozen eggs during that time.
Brekky was beans, hash Browns, mushys, bacon and eggs poached. Eggs were also boiled and put in salads. I couldn't believe when counting the cartons we bought. My sons just sorting out his place for chooks. Hopefully I'll be getting his eggs soon. My fave way is fried egg on fried piece of toast. I don't have it often. Very fattening,lol.

Russ

I absolutely adore eggs and for some reason they have been a tradition on this forum with several threads dedicated to them and also a Cookalong - 'Deep Fried Eggs'. Many of us particularly lovely runny yolks although I'm aware lately of some members saying they only like well cooked eggs.

My fave way is fried egg on fried piece of toast. I don't have it often. Very fattening,lol.

I'm surprised you say this - eggs are naturally low calories and a fried egg will be approx 100 Kcals (this is if you drain off the excess oil from frying). A slice of bread is around 100 K.cals. So a medium sized egg on toast is approx. 200K.cals. Less than most breakfasts.

Of course, this depends on the oil being drained off. 1 tbsp oil = 90 K.cals so if you add that in then estimate 300k.cals for egg on toast with oil drizzled in. Still not hugely calorific.

Last edited:
I absolutely adore eggs and for some reason they have been a tradition on this forum with several threads dedicated to them and also a Cookalong - 'Deep Fried Eggs'. Many of us particularly lovely runny yolks although I'm aware lately of some members saying they only like well cooked eggs.

I'm surprised you say this - eggs are naturally low calories and a fried egg will be approx 100 Kcals (this is if you drain off the excess oil from frying). A slice of bread is around 100 K.cals. So a medium sized egg on toast is approx. 200K.cals. Less than most breakfasts.

Of course, this depends on the oil being drained off. 1 tbsp oil = 90 K.cals so iff you add that in then estimate 300k.cals for egg on toast with oil drizzled in. Still not hugely calorific.

Wow, ok I can have them more often then. Lol.

Russ

Of course, this depends on the oil being drained off. 1 tbsp oil = 90 K.cals so if you add that in then estimate 300k.cals for egg on toast with oil drizzled in. Still not hugely calorific.
I'm pretty certain that fried bread uses much more than 1tbsp of oil. I guess the only way of finding out would be to weigh the slice before and after frying in oil and ignore the water loss from the bread. But I'd estimate at least 2-3tbsp of oil used for proper fried bread.

I'm pretty certain that fried bread uses much more than 1tbsp of oil. I guess the only way of finding out would be to weigh the slice before and after frying in oil and ignore the water loss from the bread. But I'd estimate at least 2-3tbsp of oil used for proper fried bread.

Yes, fried bread does but @rascal was talking about egg on toast.

[Edit] oops - no he wasn't!

Last edited:
I'm thinking I fry the bread first, guessing about 2.tablespoons which quickly get absorbed. Then maybe another tablespoon for the other side, then it sits in oven while egg is fried. Joined together for me to eat with a drizzle of Worcester sauce.

Russ

I'm thinking I fry the bread first, guessing about 2.tablespoons which quickly get absorbed. Then maybe another tablespoon for the other side, then it sits in oven while egg is fried. Joined together for me to eat with a drizzle of Worcester sauce.

Russ

Oh! That isn't egg on toast - that's egg on fried bread. I look back and see you said 'fried' piece of toast! Delicious of course but far more calorific than simply toast.

If you use 3 tbsp of oil then the whole thing is probably 500 Kcals. So yep, that is a lot. Save lots of cals and have it on plain toast instead perhaps.

Oh! That isn't egg on toast - that's egg on fried bread. I look back and see you said 'fried' piece of toast! Delicious of course but far more calorific than simply toast.

If you use 3 tbsp of oil then the whole thing is probably 500 Kcals. So yep, that is a lot. Save lots of cals and have it on plain toast instead perhaps.

I like your first reply,lol. I'll ignore the second one,lmao. It really is nice. I'll keep doing it my way. Btw I cook it in dripping. Pork fat mainly.

Russ

We are having quiche this week. I really like a good tortilla or frittata, omelets and Cuban flan.

I like eggs but eggs don't like me as much...likely the animal protein in eggs isn't processed well since i have been vegetarian for so long. I was just eyeing my egg carton in the fridge wondering if they should be tossed and me trying to remember when i bought them...i'll give them the float test and see if they are still good.

Back
Top Bottom