Mandoline Tales

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
2:27 AM
My worst cut was the second time I used my Mandoline. I was making perfect slices of potatoes. George was in the kitchen. I turned to speak to him and sliced the tips off of not one, not two but three fingers on my right hand. The middle finger and ring finger lost a thin slice. My index finger was a different story. The nail was sliced and ther was a slice of my finger on the mandolin. Blood. Lots of blood. Blood everywhere.

I went to Tupperware Parties. The few pieces I have are the best storage containers in my cabinet. Expensive but a great product.
If you cook you will cut yourself and you will burn yourself.
My worst cut was the second time I used my Mandoline. I was making perfect slices of potatoes. George was in the kitchen. I turned to speak to him and sliced the tips off of not one, not two but three fingers on my right hand. The middle finger and ring finger lost a thin slice. My index finger was a different story. The nail was sliced and ther was a slice of my finger on the mandolin. Blood. Lots of blood. Blood everywhere.

A mandolin and red potatoes were involved with my worst kitchen injury ever, too. My middle finger had to be cauterized because it wouldn't stop bleeding. I had to keep it up above my heart to reduce the throbing pain, so I was giving people the finger anywhere I went. A heavily white-bandaged middle finger, at that. :laugh:

CD

A mandolin and red potatoes were involved with my worst kitchen injury ever, too. My middle finger had to be cauterized because it wouldn't stop bleeding. I had to keep it up above my heart to reduce the throbing pain, so I was giving people the finger anywhere I went. A heavily white-bandaged middle finger, at that. :laugh:

It is all part of the Joy of Cooking. The kitchen is a dangerous place. Lots of very hot things and very sharp things. You will get cuts and you will get burns. If you can not take the heat stay out of the kitchen. DIL went on and on because she chipped her nail with a knife. :hyper:

It is all part of the Joy of Cooking. The kitchen is a dangerous place. Lots of very hot things and very sharp things. You will get cuts and you will get burns. If you can not take the heat stay out of the kitchen. DIL went on and on because she chipped her nail with a knife. :hyper:

I tossed my mandolin in the trash cart. I'll just take the extra time to slice things with a knife.

Otherwise, I rarely get cuts and burns in the kitchen (knocking on my wood desk).

CD

I tossed my mandolin in the trash cart. I'll just take the extra time to slice things with a knife.

Otherwise, I rarely get cuts and burns in the kitchen (knocking on my wood desk).

CD

Sometimes, & it's mainly the consumer who feels this way, but some kitchen gadgets may take longer to do a job than just doing it by hand. :ninja:

I've been thinking about asking for a mandolin as a birthday gift, but you managed to detract me :laugh:

I actually won a mandolin in a contest on Cookingbites. Whilst trying to play it I lost a little of my finger (and a little blood).

I still have it.

1674552501757.png

I actually won a mandolin in a contest on Cookingbites. Whilst trying to play it I lost a little of my finger (and a little blood).

I still have it.

How does that happen when you have a guard? I thought the guard was supposed to absolutely prevent those things from happening.

How does that happen when you have a guard? I thought the guard was supposed to absolutely prevent those things from happening.

The guards are almost useless on most mandolins. That's why chefs and other pro cooks don't use them. Using the guard on mine, I was just hacking my potatoes up. I could have done a better job with a machete.

That's how the mandolin makers draw you into their sadistic lair. :devil:

CD

Total stupidity. When the sliced object is large, it was considered unnecessary to use the guard (what could possibly go wrong?). But as the sliced object becomes smaller, then the guard is required. The decision as to when it becomes sensible to use the guard is purely subjective and I failed to get it right.

Total stupidity. When the sliced object is large, it was considered unnecessary to use the guard (what could possibly go wrong?). But as the sliced object becomes smaller, then the guard is required. The decision as to when it becomes sensible to use the guard is purely subjective and I failed to get it right.

I would envisage that a clean welder's glove would be safe but I've never come across a clean welder's glove.

81W8JQdVaFL.jpg

In fact, I cannot remember ever coming into contact with a clean welder!

[My apologies to all my past colleagues and friends in the pipeline construction industry]

I am seriously shocked at how many people have sliced parts of their finger using mandolins. I sincerely thought the finger guard made it absolutely safe. I'm very surprised to find out it doesn't.

Btw do we need a separate thread to discuss mandolins? It's probably going to be full of stories of how people sliced their fingers off, but still... :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom