Recipe Beef Marinated in Wine & Balsamic Vinegar

Saranak

Local time
12:04 AM
Ciao everyone,
As we all know back in the day there were no fridges and freezers in homes certainly not in Napoli! So this is centuries old, I make rarely, maybe twice a year. because of the amount of beef it can last for ages and the marinade that the meat soaks preserves the meat. You will need a cold and dark place for this I use my garage. However keep it off the floor. When finished it can be sliced very thin similar to a soft Salumi.
Yes, it is expensive but gorgeous however, it takes a good two weeks.

You will need -
6 kilos of quality beef in one piece.
3 litres of good red wine.
3 litres of Balsamic.
Black pepper.
500 g Oregano.
500 g Basil.
A large plastic box with an airtight seal.
At least two litres of honey.
White calico cloth.

Method -

1. Take the beef and wash, remove ALL FAT.
  2. Pour into the box all of the balsamic it must cover the beef!
  3. Add the Oregano and Basil.
  4. Rub the beef with the pepper. You want to get a crust going here.
  5. Put the beef in the box and seal, then forget it lives for 6 days.
  6. After six days open the box, drain off 3 1/4 of the balsamic and replace with the wine. The beef will have a dark colours. And should have started to feel firm.
  7. Leave for another 4 -5 days,
  8. Open the box and drain of every drop, Rub more pepper into the beef.
  9. Heat the honey and pour over the beef seal again.
  10. After another 3 -4 days open the box, take the beef and dry. The outside will be very dark now.
  11. Wrap the beef in the Calico, tie with string and hang to dry completely. It will be useful to have a small dish under to catch any drips.

When dry it can be used in a similar way to Bresaola it makes a great base for many sauces and is fantastic in a sandwich. The Balsamic basically cooks the beef.

Sarana x

Questions:

Does it matter what type of beef & what would you recommend?
Why wash the beef?
Ciao Morning Glory,
A good side of topside I feel is the best however, when times thin we used flank. To wash beef is just a traditional thing we believe it prepares the meat for the process. I come from a poor part of Italia and it has passed down to preserve is better. The Balsamic and the honey will not give bacteria places to live!
Hope that assists!
Sarana x

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom