Maple Syrup - Help!

Shadow

Sommelier
Local time
11:50 AM
storrington; via montreal, horsham, toronto
I have a surfeit - more than 1.5 litres! - of maple syrup because visitors have kindly gifted it to us. What to do with it?
We are not huge fans but, as usual, the good stuff is wonderful, the commercial stuff is quite ordinary. We are not keen on it with waffles/pancakes or bacon for example and all the recipes I have seen only use about 2 or 3 tablespoons of it.
So, fellow CBers, do you have any ideas/suggestions/recipes of how to use large quantities (500ml +) in one go?

You can use it to baste meat especially pork, but that is rather a lot of maple syrup. Ill see what I can find for you.

there are a lot of recipes especially for cakes, but you would soon get fed up with the taste of maple syrup.

I don't really know what to suggest you do with it to be honest.

Last edited:
Gluten Free Maple Walnut Bread

Gluten Free Maple Walnut Bread.jpeg

Ingredients
2 ¼ cups gluten free flour blend (such as King Arthur)
2/3 cup tapioca flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup maple syrup(12 oz)
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup chopped walnuts

Instructions
  • Heat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a large bowl combine flours, starch, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon and salt.
  • Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter turns a nut brown color. Remove from heat. Set aside.In a large bowl combine maple syrup, buttermilk and eggs. Stir in browned butter.
  • Add wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until just combined Stir in walnuts.
  • Pour into a well-greased 9×5-inch loaf pan.
  • Bake 55 to 60 minutes, until risen and a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.

http://www.purecanadamaple.com/maple-syrup-recipe/maple-walnut-bread

I have a surfeit - more than 1.5 litres! - of maple syrup because visitors have kindly gifted it to us. What to do with it?
We are not huge fans but, as usual, the good stuff is wonderful, the commercial stuff is quite ordinary. We are not keen on it with waffles/pancakes or bacon for example and all the recipes I have seen only use about 2 or 3 tablespoons of it.
So, fellow CBers, do you have any ideas/suggestions/recipes of how to use large quantities (500ml +) in one go?
You can't use 500ml in one go unless you marinade and roast a whole pig in it or something. I wouldn't worry. It keeps forever. Use it to marinade pork ribs along with lots of spices. Try the Vegan Heartache Cake (revisited). Its very, very good!

Thanks for the replies guys.

@welsh dragon - I would never get tired of the taste of maple syrup! It is one of nature's nectars, like honey. All the cake type recipes I have seen only use small quantities, hence this thread. I look forward to what you might find for me!
@classic33 - love the sports drink, will try this. Must be one the most expensive around, altho still cheaper than shop bought. I'm going to have to do a lot of sport drinking going thru only ¼ cup at a time!
@classic33 - even though the bread recipe uses a better quantity, I cannot be a***d to go and buy 7 of 13 ingredients just for a loaf of bread!
@morning glory - I don't want it to keep forever, I want to use it. Otherwise it will get moved further and further back in the cupboard and be forgotten about and that would be tragic! Might try the cake though, in spite of its dubious provenance!

Follow the links for more ideas on how it can be used.

Wow, well if you don't know what to do with your syrup you could always send it this way...HAHAA just joking. I remember making maple syrup candy as a child with the snow. Though, I think with the impurities in snow , that is kind of frowned upon now. I know there are a lot of recipes that do use maple syrup as a flavoring however.

Here is another one. Shortbread cookies with maple syrup.

225 grams butter
125 ml maple syrup
250 grams plain flour
1/4 teasp salt

Preheat oven to 180c gas mark 4

beat butter, syrup, until smooth
stir in flour and salt until just incorporated. Form into walnut sized balls. Flatten slightly. Bake in the oven for between 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Time may vary depending on your oven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, well if you don't know what to do with your syrup you could always send it this way...HAHAA just joking. I remember making maple syrup candy as a child with the snow. Though, I think with the impurities in snow , that is kind of frowned upon now. I know there are a lot of recipes that do use maple syrup as a flavoring however.

Wow we use to do that too. I forgot all about it until you mentioned it on here. We use to look forward to doing it every year. It was so tasty..oh the memories. You couldn't do that now though. I love maple syrup but it is quite expensive so its rare that I buy it. My uncle makes his own so whenever he comes to visit he will bring us all some but it has been a while since his last visit.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I stumbled across a recipe recently that uses 500 ml in one go.........

... to make maple syrup baklava.
Oooh, it was sooo wickedly good!

At UK prices, this would be prohibitive but if you happen to reside in eastern Canada or US, I would highly recommend it. If you really, really like sweet stuff !!

image.jpg

I use maple syrup a lot, 3 or 4 times a year when doing a glazed ham. It's easy as and the best you will ever taste.
I can tell you how to do it if you want. The glaze is only 4 things.
300 ml maple syrup
300 ml bourbon
300 ml apricot sauce.
100gm jar of honey grain mustard.

Russ

Similar to this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom