Marcato Ampia Pasta Maker

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
2:40 AM
Last month during a fair bit of downtime I went on a couple of fresh pasta cooking classes. Amazing how easy it was, but they used Kitchen Aids with pasta attachments which I've already been talked out of by you guys.

With the January sales on, I decided to get one of these for SGD $99 (about 70 USD).

It rolls sheets (I'll be doing lasagne and ravioli with those), Fettucine and Tagliolini.

86d8cf57ba240eede260deafff7d7572.jpg

I'll be wheeling it out for its first use this week and making some recipes from The Silver Spoon!

Last month during a fair bit of downtime I went on a couple of fresh pasta cooking classes. Amazing how easy it was, but they used Kitchen Aids with pasta attachments which I've already been talked out of by you guys.

Can't beat fresh pasta :D

I have the KitchenAid pasta roller set and think its the best thing since sliced bread (and have said that on here many times) - its so much easier to use than the Imperia manual machine I had before. And I make pasta a lot more now than I used to.

Have fun pasta making though :chef:

I've a hand crank pasta machine - a cheaper model that this. The problem is that I rarely use it because it needs clamping to the edge of a long worktop. My kitchen is rather small and the worktop doesn't overhang enough to attach it, so I have to rather awkwardly open a cupboard door to attach the clamp. So I end up with an open cupboard door obstructing me where I'm trying to work. My dining table isn't suitable either.

vernplum I'm not sure if your machine attaches in the same way although I suspect it does. If so, I hope you have a suitable worktop!

I got an after market pasta rolling set for our KA for less than what OP spent and I absolutely love it. It's great for rolling out for ravioli or wide pasta cuts, and the fettucini and spaghetti cutters work great. In fact, that's what I used for yesterdays meal. Much, much easier than using our hand crank. Not sure who did the talking out of. If you already have a KA, can't beat what I got.

I've a hand crank pasta machine - a cheaper model that this. The problem is that I rarely use it because it needs clamping to the edge of a long worktop. My kitchen is rather small and the worktop doesn't overhang enough to attach it, so I have to rather awkwardly open a cupboard door to attach the clamp. So I end up with an open cupboard door obstructing me where I'm trying to work. My dining table isn't suitable either.

vernplum I'm not sure if your machine attaches in the same way although I suspect it does. If so, I hope you have a suitable worktop!
I've never seen that problem in NA. It's standard to have an overhang on all counters. Even in the restaurant where there is no overhang the thickness overall still allows clamping. Sorry to hear about your situation

I've a hand crank pasta machine - a cheaper model that this. The problem is that I rarely use it because it needs clamping to the edge of a long worktop. My kitchen is rather small and the worktop doesn't overhang enough to attach it, so I have to rather awkwardly open a cupboard door to attach the clamp. So I end up with an open cupboard door obstructing me where I'm trying to work.
I´ve got a hand-cranked one too, and also exactly the same problem you´ve mentioned here. I have to open a kitchen drawer and clamp the thing on there. A royal pain because it sort of spoils the fun of making homemade pasta.

I've never seen that problem in NA. It's standard to have an overhang on all counters. Even in the restaurant where there is no overhang the thickness overall still allows clamping. Sorry to hear about your situation
A typical overhang for a kitchen worktop in the UK is usually around 2cm - nowhere near enough to clamp a pasta machine on to it without opening the door. This, added to the fact that you need one hand to turn a manual machine and often two hands to guide the pasta sheets....you can see why some of us are huge fans of the Kitchen Aid rollers.

A typical overhang for a kitchen worktop in the UK is usually around 2cm - nowhere near enough to clamp a pasta machine on to it without opening the door. This, added to the fact that you need one hand to turn a manual machine and often two hands to guide the pasta sheets....you can see why some of us are huge fans of the Kitchen Aid rollers.

If I had a Kitchen Aid then I'd definitely get the pasta attachment. :okay: But I really can't justify the expense of a KA. I never use mixers (what would I use it for, I have to ask myself?) plus I don't have the space for one really, in my tiny kitchen.

If I had a Kitchen Aid then I'd definitely get the pasta attachment. :okay: But I really can't justify the expense of a KA. I never use mixers (what would I use it for, I have to ask myself?) plus I don't have the space for one really, in my tiny kitchen.
I probably don't need one either, though I do use it fairly often. I treated myself to it a few years ago and when we moved into this house I designed the kitchen colour scheme around it :laugh:

I'm intrigued which thread on here talked vernplum out of getting the KA pasta attachment....as far as I can remember pretty much everyone on here who has one recommends it?

I'm intrigued which thread on here talked @vernplum out of getting the KA pasta attachment....as far as I can remember pretty much everyone on here who has one recommends it?

Yeah. I don't know. I think if you already own a KA then the pasta attachment is a great. vernplum will have to answer!

Last edited:

With the January sales on, I decided to get one of these for SGD $99 (about 70 USD).

It rolls sheets (I'll be doing lasagne and ravioli with those), Fettucine and Tagliolini.

View attachment 78783

I'll be wheeling it out for its first use this week and making some recipes from The Silver Spoon!

Mine looks similar to that. Might not be the same name brand, but basically, it looks the same. :whistling:

I have a KA and the rollers but never use it but I do understand the convenience of one. I say make homemade any way we can. :)

I will be using child labour to hand crank the machine while I pass the pasta through (or I will hold and crank it and let my daughter do the rolling :) ). We'll see how that goes, otherwise I'll clamp it to my dining table - the machine did come with a G-clamp.

I probably don't need one either, though I do use it fairly often. I treated myself to it a few years ago and when we moved into this house I designed the kitchen colour scheme around it :laugh:

I'm intrigued which thread on here talked vernplum out of getting the KA pasta attachment....as far as I can remember pretty much everyone on here who has one recommends it?

This is the thread where kind denizens of CB convinced me to save money and countertop space:
Talk me out of buying a KitchenAid

Back
Top Bottom