Recipe 'March in the Dark' Taco Shells

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:51 AM
DSCF2388.jpg

Photographed this afternoon in natural light!

This recipe is a spin off from the one posted by @winterybella. I tried the recipe using oat flour and although it did work, I wasn't keen on the rather 'mealy' feel in the mouth, that the flour had. So I tried a lot of substitutes (I won't bore you). Eventually I tried spelt. This works for me. It adds a nutty earthy note to the tacos. I also added a bit of smoked paprika to spice it up. You could leave it out if you want. 'March in the Dark' is a reference to the story that the Romans called spelt their 'marching grain' and of course, carrots help you see in the dark!

Ingredients:

200g/1 1/2 cup grated carrot, packed and tap water to cook
75g/ 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 medium eggs, beaten
3 tablespoon spelt flour
1 Tsp smoked paprika
Salt, pepper to taste

Instructions
  • Place grated carrot into a bowl cover with tap water. Microwave 5 minutes.
  • Drain and place the cooked grated carrots into a clean absorbent paper or towel.
  • Firmly squeeze out the extra water until the grated carrot are as dry as you can manage.
  • Place the grated cheese, spelt flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl and gradually add the beaten eggs. You may not need all of the eggs. The mixture should be very thick and sticky.
  • Prepare a baking tray covered with baking paper.
  • Place a quarter portion of the mixture onto the prepared tray and gradually press out with your fingers to form a circle
  • Bake at 200C for 15 minutes or until crispy on the sides.
  • Allow the tacos to cool on the baking paper slightly, then peel off the paper.
Here is a photo of the taco with my yoghurt mustard dressing:
DSCF2395.JPG

Last edited:
Wait!!!!! The competition ends today?!?!!? I had these grand plans but truth be told winning would not be good for me right now. It's too stressful around here. And amidst all the stress seeing this here recipe made me smile.

Wait!!!!! The competition ends today?!?!!? I had these grand plans but truth be told winning would not be good for me right now. It's too stressful around here. And amidst all the stress seeing this here recipe made me smile.
Ended 22:00 hours UTC!

This looks really quite good. I love yogurt mustard dressing. Do you make your own or do you buy it? I buy it all the time but I have never made it. For the amount I buy it would much cheaper to make it. The two taco looks really good.

This looks really quite good. I love yogurt mustard dressing. Do you make your own or do you buy it? I buy it all the time but I have never made it. For the amount I buy it would much cheaper to make it. The two taco looks really good.
All I do is mix Greek style yoghurt with some Dijon mustard (perhaps a litle olive oil too if you want). You could use other mustards. Perhaps a squirt of lemon juice. Add crushed garlic for an aioli style dressing. Its super low calorie and can replace mayo in most instances. And of course, you can add herbs. Tarragon is good.

All I do is mix Greek style yoghurt with some Dijon mustard (perhaps a litle olive oil too if you want). You could use other mustards. Perhaps a squirt of lemon juice. Add crushed garlic for an aioli style dressing. Its super low calorie and can replace mayo in most instances. And of course, you can add herbs. Tarragon is good.
When will I ever get time to do these things? I had all these grand plans and have just been putting in these horribly long hours at work...and for what?:( By the way Morning Glory, those pictures are Pinterest ready.

Last edited:
Now that looks quite interesting. I can't wait until I get the chance to go to Whole Foods again. I simply must buy some of these interesting flours and what not...and experiment with them. i normally don't like shopping there but it seems to be one of the few places...you can get some of these specialized flours and ingredients. Maybe Trader Joe's might have it.

Ended 22:00 hours UTC!
Unless the server time is out, it was entered at 9:51pm which is inside the 10pm mark... :unsure:

As for linking in the competition thread we may have to be lenient and just relax the rules a touch if everyone has the hang of adding the tag now. :whistling: after all its not THAT serious is it?

When will I ever get time to do these things? I had all these grand plans and have just been putting in these horribly long hours at work...and for what?:( By the way Morning Glory, those pictures are Pinterest ready.
I'm not on Pinterest. I don't really understand it!

I'm not on Pinterest. I don't really understand it!
Now if I can do Pinterest so can you. You don't get much slower than I do when it comes to social media unless you are my sister who was over the moon sending an email from her phone. Anyway, the results!! Just let me go see what's happening with the Challenge.

Back
Top Bottom