Recipe Mark Hix's chunky chilli con carne

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:55 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Again from an article in the Independent on chilies and enorphines. I though the recipe might interest those who eat meat. Meanwhile I will concoct a veggie version and see what it is like! I can see soya chunks and soya mince being used and somewhat less cooking time involved...
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...the-ultimate-feel-good-ingredient-969617.html

Mark Hix's chunky chilli con carne

Serves 8-10
Ingredients
2tbsp corn or vegetable oil
500g minced beef or pork
500g stewing beef or pork, cut into rough 2cm chunks
2tsp ground cumin
1tbsp flour
2tsp fresh oregano or thyme
1tbsp tomato purée
1 x 350g-400g can chopped tomatoes
500g tinned red kidney beans
1 litre beef stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
4 medium red chillies, seeded and chopped

Method
Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and fry the minced and diced beef on a high heat, stirring every so often until lightly coloured.
Add the cumin, flour and tomato purée, then stir in the chopped tomatoes and beef stock.
Meanwhile, mix the onion, garlic and chilli in a blender with a little water until smooth, and add to the beef.
Bring to the boil, season and simmer for 1 hour.
Wash kidney beans and add to the beef and continue cooking for another 45 minutes, or until the beef chunks are tender.

Mark Hix is chef-in-residence on The Independent's Saturday magazine

I think if you use a meat substitute then you need to adapt the recipe because if you add raw onion, garlic and chilli puree and cook for less than an hour, it might still be a bit 'raw' tasting. I don't really know, but when I make chilli I soften onions and garlic in oil first...

When I make chili con carne it is very similar to this. The longer you let it sit the better it tastes.
It is usually an all day thing for me. I started making it in the morning and simmer it for a good part
of the say. The flavors are so good when it is finally done. Even better the next day when you reheat it.

When I make chili con carne it is very similar to this. The longer you let it sit the better it tastes.
It is usually an all day thing for me. I started making it in the morning and simmer it for a good part
of the say. The flavors are so good when it is finally done. Even better the next day when you reheat it.

Totally agree about the letting it sit. I find any sort of dishes that contain diced tomatoes/tomato puree and things like that always are better as a next day thing!

I love the recipe. I'll be trying it first with beef, then with pork. No veggie version for me. I'm a carnivore all the way. I am willing to taste the veggie version though, if someone else makes it. I do like to try new things. If you don't mind me asking, what is the effect of the flour on the recipe? Is it to thicken the sauce? Thanks.

I love the recipe. I'll be trying it first with beef, then with pork. No veggie version for me. I'm a carnivore all the way. I am willing to taste the veggie version though, if someone else makes it. I do like to try new things. If you don't mind me asking, what is the effect of the flour on the recipe? Is it to thicken the sauce? Thanks.
Should let @SatNavSaysStraightOn reply, but yes, its to thicken the sauce.

Back
Top Bottom