200g mature cheddar (or vegetarian alternative), grated
100g soft breadcrumb
bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
2 eggs
500g pack shortcrust pastry
a little flour, for dusting
2 tbsp Marmite

method
  1. Put the grated potato, cheese, breadcrumbs and spring onions into a mixing bowl with 1 egg.
  2. Sprinkle over 1 tsp salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Mix together.
  3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to just slightly thicker than a £1 coin. cut out 6 circles of pastry about 5-6 inches in diameter.
  4. Warm the Marmite in a small pan or in the microwave with a splash of water so it is a bit runnier, then brush over each circle, leaving a 2-3cm border around each edge.
  5. Divide the filling between the middles of each circle,
  6. beat the remaining egg and brush a little around each border.
  7. For each pasty, bring up 2 sides of pastry to meet over the filling, and pinch and crimp to seal into a pasty shape.
  8. Put the pasties to a greased baking sheet and chill while you heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
  9. Brush the pasties all over with more egg. Bake for 50 mins-1 hr until golden brown and crisp.
Taken from here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2219678/cheese-and-marmite-pasties

Last edited by a moderator:
While I have never used this Marmite, I like the sound of the recipe.
Cheese and Marmite work very well together.
Best thing to add to cheese sandwiches and it is full of the b vitamins as well. Just spread very thinly. :laugh: it is an acquired taste or at least one that takes time to like and best liked very thinly unless you love strongly flavoured foods that are very salty.

It's on sale over there, even made it to Cuba!
You'll have to nip to the shop for some, today.
I hope to travel very soon so maybe, just maybe I will see it in the States.
Cheese and Marmite work very well together.
Best thing to add to cheese sandwiches and it is full of the b vitamins as well. Just spread very thinly. :laugh: it is an acquired taste or at least one that takes time to like and best liked very thinly unless you love strongly flavoured foods that are very salty.
I do have a "highly flavoured" issue. Just today I was telling someone my hands are a little too heavy with the "salt" aka strongly flavoured?

I hope to travel very soon so maybe, just maybe I will see it in the States.

I do have a "highly flavoured" issue. Just today I was telling someone my hands are a little too heavy with the "salt" aka strongly flavoured?
I don't think strongly flavoured and salty necessarily go together, but sometimes they do. I meant to spread Marmite thinly unless you like something that is strongly flavoured and salty at the same time. i think it is possible to have a strong flavour that isn't salty, like Tabasco sauce for instance.

I did make that trip and somehow I forgot to search for this Marmite. Maybe I'll just stumble on it somewhere here at home when I least expect it. I agree that salty and strongly flavoured don't make a great combo @Ellie.

I did make that trip and somehow I forgot to search for this Marmite. Maybe I'll just stumble on it somewhere here at home when I least expect it. I agree that salty and strongly flavoured don't make a great combo @Ellie.
I do hope that you get to try it one day. Don't forget that a little goes a long way!

It seems I forgot to upload by version of it. I removed the dairy from it and made a couple of alternations as per my normal....
Homemade soft wholemeal shortcrust pastry.

500g potato, peeled and grated
200g mature cheddar (or vegetarian alternative), grated
100g soft breadcrumb
bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
2 eggs
500g pack shortcrust pastry
a little flour, for dusting
2 tbsp Marmite

So I didn't peel the potatoes, I never do and they were not grated but cubed and partially mashed afterwards. It goes without saying that they were floury potatoes.
The cheddar cheese became vegan mozzarella slices which went over the top of the mixture before the pastry was 'sealed'.
The spring onions were switched with a normal onion which was cooked until translucent over a medium hot heat for that BBQ effect.
I only used the one egg for binding.
The flour was homemade.
And the marmite needed boiling water adding to it to thin it in order to be able to spread it over the soft shortcrust pastry without tearing it.
And I used water to seal the pastry rather than egg.
Otherwise, most things were the same. <cough>

They were served with a rice and pomegranate salad and some home-grown cherry tomatoes. And as you can see look nothing like the originals but were exceptionally nice all the same!
IMG_7433.JPG

Back
Top Bottom