Recipe Marzipan & cherry flapjacks with holiday spices

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
2:13 PM
Website
www.instagram.com
I wanted to do something new for the recipe challenge, so I decided to make flapjacks. I had never made them before. I also had marzipan & dried cherries laying about so decided to use them as filling. My bars turned out a little too dark, so I have reduced the recommended baking time in this recipe.

Ingredients:
220 g finely milled oatmeal
100 g dark treacle or maple syrup
100 g butter
75 g crumbled marzipan
25 g dried cherries or a few handfuls
1 teaspoon holiday spices
A sprinkling of seasalt

1) Preheat oven to 160 celcius. Line a shallow baking tin with foil. A brownie tin sized one.
2) Mix dry ingredients in a bowl plus the salt and spices.
3) Melt the butter in a saucepan, being careful not to let it boil. When it's melted add the treacle or syrup. Mix well.
4) Pour butter & treacle mixture on the dry ingredients, then mix well. Scoop into the lined tin and press until even.
5) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
6) Let cool completely and slice into bars.

I rather like the way they look dark. Sweet stuff is not really my thing but I'll bet they taste good and rich with the marzipan and black treacle and bursts of fruitiness from the cherries. I do like black treacle as its not overly sweet and adds an umami dimension. Not sure if it is umami but it tastes that way to me. This recipe is also gluten free (I think) and could be vegan if the butter was substituted.

I rather like the way they look dark. Sweet stuff is not really my thing but I'll bet they taste good and rich with the marzipan and black treacle and bursts of fruitiness from the cherries. I do like black treacle as its not overly sweet and adds an umami dimension. Not sure if it is umami but it tastes that way to me. This recipe is also gluten free (I think) and could be vegan if the butter was substituted.
Yes, all true! The original recipe calls for golden syrup but I prefer treacle too. And the original also has sugar added in, but I replaced that with marzipan. I reckon thats indeed sweet enough.

If made vegan I would recommend using a violife block or other solid vegan butter, margarine won't work for this because it has to set the flapjacks

Recipes like this are why I love cooking. I've never used marzipan before, and now I feel motivated to try it. I see that almond paste could do as a substitute, but I think I can find marzipan somewhere nearby. Another adventure in the kitchen awaits!

Recipes like this are why I love cooking. I've never used marzipan before, and now I feel motivated to try it. I see that almond paste could do as a substitute, but I think I can find marzipan somewhere nearby. Another adventure in the kitchen awaits!
You always have such nice things to say about everyone, I really like that about you :hug:

Back
Top Bottom