Recipe Masala Bubble and Squeak

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:56 PM
Bubble and squeak is one of my all time favourite things. Its wonderful flavour comes from the charring of the greens in a hot pan which provides a distinctive umami taste. You can use any left over potatoes and greens. You could add other left over root vegetables too. Here I’ve ramped up the taste with some Indian spices. Feel free to add spices of your choice, including chilli which I left out on this occasion.

As a rule of thumb use 50% greens to 50% potato but it really isn't a precise recipe. I used half a medium sized baked potato which with an equal volume of cabbage which made a large burger sized portion. You don’t need to form the mix into a burger shape if you don’t want to. Its more traditional to simply tip it into a pan and press it down. A fried egg on top is perfect.

fullsizeoutput_45f2.jpeg

Ingredients (per portion)
Half a medium sized baked potato
An equal quantity (in volume) of cooked greens such as cabbage
1/2 tsp each of ground turmeric and cumin
1 tsp of garam masala.
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Squeeze as much moisture as you can from the greens and roughly chop. Place in a bowl.
  2. Roughly chop the potato (leave on the skin) and mix with the cabbage together with the spices.
  3. Using your hands, squeeze the mix together and form into a burger shape.
  4. Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and add the bubble and squeak burger.
  5. Fry at a medium to high heat on both sides until the exterior is slightly charred.
fullsizeoutput_45f0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_45f1.jpeg

Bubble and squeak is one of my all time favourite things. Its wonderful flavour comes from the charring of the greens in a hot pan which provides a distinctive umami taste. You can use any left over potatoes and greens. You could add other left over root vegetables too. Here I’ve ramped up the taste with some Indian spices. Feel free to add spices of your choice, including chilli which I left out on this occasion.

As a rule of thumb use 50% greens to 50% potato but it really isn't a precise recipe. I used half a medium sized baked potato which with an equal volume of cabbage which made a large burger sized portion. You don’t need to form the mix into a burger shape if you don’t want to. Its more traditional to simply tip it into a pan and press it down. A fried egg on top is perfect.

View attachment 23811

Ingredients (per portion)
Half a medium sized baked potato
An equal quantity (in volume) of cooked greens such as cabbage
1/2 tsp each of ground turmeric and cumin
1 tsp of garam masala.
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Squeeze as much moisture as you can from the greens and roughly chop. Place in a bowl.
  2. Roughly chop the potato (leave on the skin) and mix with the cabbage together with the spices.
  3. Using your hands, squeeze the mix together and form into a burger shape.
  4. Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and add the bubble and squeak burger.
  5. Fry at a medium to high heat on both sides until the exterior is slightly charred.
View attachment 23812

View attachment 23813

Man, that pic takes me back, my mum used to do good bubble n squeak,included left over roast veges including potato pumpkin carrots and cabbage, fried in dripping. We never had an egg on top. Yours looks brill.

Russ

I love bubble and squeak. As a child this was often made from Sunday roast leftovers for Monday night dinner. I prefer the unformed version so you get more crispy bits.

Back
Top Bottom