Mashed Potatoes in Other Dishes

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
7:04 AM
There was this one cooking show that I watched, where the person I was watching it with went on about how offensively slender the chef was for what she was cooking--potato pancakes.

Basically, mold mashed potatoes into patties, then dip them in egg and flour and fry them up. Have them with a little tomato sauce.

The person I was watching it with objected that the camera cut away when she was supposed to taste it and go "Mm! Yum!" like they do in cooking shows--so she probably doesn't really eat it! It's a conspiracy! You can't eat carbs on carbs and stay that skinny! What an outrage!

That annoyed me because I just really wanted to listen to the recipe, which I tried later and it was pretty good. But I'd like to add finely-diced onions to the mashed potatoes.

Another friend of mine knows how to make super-thin round hash browns.

What is probably the most interesting recipe I have, though, is mashed potato chocolate cake. My mother remarked, after I made it, that the potato starch binding made it so that there weren't all that many crumbs. There were still a few crumbs, though, so it wasn't a very cohesive thing but I would like to try to make it so with more potato starch if possible.

Mashed potatoes are a wonder food as far as I am concerned! I would eat them everyday if I could but then I wouldn't be able to do much else!

You know what I forgot to mention? Japanese croquettes! I thought it requires a special kind of dough coating, but it's really just your choice of meat, coated in a layer of molded mashed potato, and a special kind of breading coating (which, fortunately, I can get at the many Japanese grocery stores where I live.) It's fried, though, so it does a number on my stomach which is prone to hyperacidity, but with a lot of rice and noodles I can bear it. And I like to munch on it. Oh, the deliciousness of forbidden foods that are bad for your health.

I have added flour to mashed potato to make a soft pastry for pies. I also use a layer of mashed potato as the topping for a fish pie. It can also be used to make a pie with ground beef and onions, chicken and mushroom or vegetables in white sauce.

Mashed potato can also be used to thicken soups.

I have never tried it in a sweet dish, but I have heard of it being used in cake recipes.

I love mashed potatoes. I could eat them all day. There are so many things you can do with them. You can eat them plain, season them up, put them in a number of foods. I actually use them for a number of things and not just side dishes. I use them as a thickener, casserole ingredient and to help me fry foods. A very versatile food indeed.

I have used mashed potato to thicken soup. I rarely ever have any corn starch, so I have the choice of mashed potatoes and flour. Flour to me kind of messes up the taste and has a very grainy texture. But potatoes on the other hand, absorb the flavors in the soup, while thickening it with a smooth texture. I love it.

Plus it is great for casseroles. When you make meat potato pie, just slap potatoes on top of the meat, coat with cheese, and tada it is done. They are also a staple if you are making "chicken" bowls like KFC has.

But when I fry foods mashed potatoes are a staple. I make a mixture of spiced mixed with a pack of crushed saltines, a cup of potatoes and a half cup of flour. I coat, let us say chicken, in flour, put it in milk, and then coat with the mixture and fry it in hot oil. It makes the most perfect, flavorful, and crispy chicken and pork chops ever.

I can see where your friend was coming from! Were you watching Giada de Laurentis by chance? I don't understand how the woman can make the foods she does but still stay as small as she does!

Anyway, I'm a purist and prefer my mashed potatoes as just that: mashed potatoes. Last night, we had garlic mashed potatoes with meatloaf. I occasionally eat the meatloaf and potatoes in the same bit but that's about as daring as I get.

I enjoy mashed potatoes most in casseroles, aside from just eating it solo. Particular favorite casseroles I like with mashed potatoes in them are either beef or salmon casseroles. I'd probably eat mashed potatoes with almost any protein though, I imagine it goes great with most of them.

I use mashed potatoes in fishcakes. The children love them. I just add tinned tuna and sweetcorn, shape them and then roll in crushed ready salted crisps before baking in the oven. I serve them with salad and chilli infused mayonnaise.

You could easily make some potato pancakes with them, I would just add some chopped scallions into the mashed potatoes, form them into patties and fry them up in some butter or oil.

There is a chain of Mexican themed restaurants not too far from me in the Pittsburgh area called Mad Mex, which uses mashed potatoes along with black beans as part of a filling for their taquitos. I haven't tried them yet, but it sounded like a brilliant idea. Mad Mex isn't really 100% authentic Mexican either, they're more of like a bizarre cross between Mexican and Pennsylvania Dutch if that makes any sense.

You may even be able to turn leftover mashed potatoes into a potato salad. In some areas, they serve their potato salad creamy, rather than in chunks. It would be worth playing around with a bit, perhaps stir in some mayo and mustard along with some diced celery and onion, maybe some relish if you have that too and a hard boiled egg, and see how it turns out.

I love me some fried mashed potato cakes or just mashed taters mixed with my corn. I grew up eating these two and honestly, I got my kids eating these too!

Back
Top Bottom