Mayonnaise with a Difference

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
8:10 AM
In the UK, mayonnaise is one of the most common dressings/ sauces/ accompaniments served with a meal. However, I like to spice things up a little. I add chillies to go with homemade fishcakes and a touch of curry powder to serve with chicken salad. Is there anything that you add to mayonnaise and what meals do you serve it with?

I don't generally add things to mayonnaise but sometimes I buy different kinds like olive oil mayonniase with spices already added. We have items like chipolte mayo which of course is the pepper blend. It is nice to spice things up with flavored mayo from time to time.

There are dozens of possibilities!
  • Add Dijon mustard and crushed garlic and you have made an aioli.
  • Add Harissa paste for a hot kick
  • Add horseradish sauce and serve with fish
  • Add capers and chopped pickled cucumbers and you've made a tartare sauce.
  • Add tomato paste or tomato sauce and you've made a retro Marie Rose sauce to serve with prawns in a Prawn Cocktail!
  • Add chopped herbs (any fresh herbs will work). Tarragon is particularly good.
  • Add Wasabi paste or powder for a real punch.
  • Add zest of lemon, lime or orange for a fresh zing.
  • Add a very small amount of sesame oil for a nutty twist
  • Add grated ginger for a warm spicy flavour
  • Add splash of Guinness!
  • Add a little brandy or whisky. Not too much. Good with lobster!

Really... you can try lots of things. Mayonnaise is quite a forgiving thing! Sadly, I'm allergic to it! But I make mayonnaise for others. Its quite a pleasurable thing to do... a bit of alchemy.

I often add sweet chili sauce to mayo. I like that kick that it gives. I also add crushed garlic sometimes for added flavour. I am not a big fan of mayo. I don't eat it very often but I always have it on hand for the odd time that I may want it.

Raisins and a few things from Morning Glory's list. Ever since my favourite Hellman's mayo got a beating here I've been thinking of trying to make my own mayonnaise.

Back
Top Bottom