Meals while moving

Jessi

Veteran
Local time
12:50 PM
So I have moved many times and I'm used to having a couple days where I survive off sandwiches or pizza. It was a little trickier when I was feeding 4 kids during a crazy huge move, but we still managed fine with quick dishes like ramen and microwaved meals.

I'm getting ready to move again, however, this time is a little tricky.... It's going to be on a weekend right after two back-to-back trips during the week/weekend before, and then I just found out I'm going to have to work overtime during my moving weekend itself and then babysit a toddler on the only day I was going to have available for actually moving boxes/furniture. Not to mention the couple days after the move are going to be spent completely cleaning everything in order to get my deposit back, blah, blah, blah, blah.

So long story short, I'm going to have about 2-3 weeks where I'm going to need to try to pack up essentially everything, minus a few necessities, and won't have access to it until after those 2-3 weeks. This means I need very, very minimal dishes that I can get by with only a single pot or two and some forks, etc, and minimal fresh ingredients because I can't be trying to shop during this time either. This would be simple if it were only a few days, but it's another story when I'm trying to plan for about a 2-3 week span, with chunks of time within that I'll be traveling as well.

Any tips? Meal ideas? I'm going to need several, so give me all you've got!

What will you have available to you to cook with?
oven, rings, microwave? fridge?
I ask because 3 years ago we did something similar (minus the kids issues) when we sold everything we owned and cycled away from the house we rented to cycle around the world. We literally sold everything and ended up washing clothes in the sink etc... (we had no neighbours we could call a favour on and family all lived +300 miles away and once we had sold the cars...)

I'd recommend burritos. Since it has rice, meat, and vegetables, it's pretty much a meal you can hold in one hand, and in my opinion, it's a lot more filling than sandwiches. You could maybe try preparing them ahead of time and freezing them, then just microwave and toast each as you need.

Freezing meals would get you through some of that, especially the time before the move. Different pasta meals are very very simple, especially if you use premade sauces. Then all you have to do is boil the pasta and heat up the sauce.

I'd also look into other foods that come out of a can. Easy to store / move around and you only need to heat it up.
While regular salads will not be possible I'd also look into salads made from items you can store for along time. For example a pasta + tuna salad is something that you don't really need fresh ingredients for.

I would make up dinners ahead of time and freeze them until ready to heat and eat. Canned chicken, tuna, ham, etc can make great salad sandwiches. Keep up some fresh fruits and veggies to use as snacks.

What will you have available to you to cook with?
oven, rings, microwave? fridge?
I ask because 3 years ago we did something similar (minus the kids issues) when we sold everything we owned and cycled away from the house we rented to cycle around the world. We literally sold everything and ended up washing clothes in the sink etc... (we had no neighbours we could call a favour on and family all lived +300 miles away and once we had sold the cars...)

Oh wow!

I will still have access to the fridge for about 75% of the time that I'll be in one of the locations. So not while I'm traveling and not during the last couple days because I'll need to completely strip the fridge/stove/etc. I can survive on sandwiches and takeout during those couple days, though. I could potentially clean the stove/fridge and leave the microwave available for one of those days, but I'd rather be able to clean that and pack it away.

live off pasta and anything you can cook in 1 or 2 saucepans for the last few days (anything boiled or steamed - so plenty of veg) and a saucepan can be used quite successfully to fry things, so don't rule out some fried bacon if that is the sort of thing you like. That way you only have to wipe the stove rings down as you walk out of the door. Otherwise it sounds like you should be able to live reasonably normally (without a microwave, we didn't have one then) and slowly eat the contents of the fridge/freezer as you get closer to the end day.

Keeping a flask handy will make life easier on the road, hot water can be used in so many ways even if it is only for noodles or slow cooked rice!

Back
Top Bottom