Meat Grinder Tips and Tricks

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:25 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I started this out as a reply to a post from @detroitdad, then decided it was best to have as a separate post (and, I'm guessing @morning glory would have done this anyway, so this saves her the trouble).

Here's the meat grinder I have:

1898430.jpg

It was a bargain when I got it at $79.99, and it's an absolute steal now at only $49.99 at the Web Restaurant Store (with free shipping in the States, and I think also in Canada).

With this beauty, you can grind through a pound of meat in about a minute (no exaggeration). Here are the things you need to do:
  1. Whatever meat you want to grind needs to be cut in chunks and placed in a zipper bag in the freezer. I like to make the pieces as flat as possible in the bag, so breaking them apart is easier. Try to separate them as much as possible, but you will still have to break them apart when you're ready to grind it. The meat shouldn't be rock hard, otherwise the grind will prove difficult. At least 2 hours in the freezer should do.
  2. Make sure all parts of the meat grinder (except the part with the motor) are in the freezer when not in use. The more you explore the world of meat grinding, the more likely you'll hear the phrase "cold is your friend". Anything that warms up the meat will cause "smearing" (see bottom of this post), which creates an unpleasant texture. Warm meat grinder components will will cause the meat to thaw somewhat, particularly when you get to the end of the bag.
  3. Wash all surfaces (counter-top) and the exterior of the meat grinder thoroughly after use. No matter how careful you are, there is bound to be a speck of raw meat that flies somewhere you don't expect. Better safe than sorry.
  4. After washing, place the meat grinder components (except for the part with the motor) in the freezer. When I started out, I would often plan an awesome sausage I wanted to make, I'd have all the meat ready and all the seasonings...then, I'd realize that I'd forgotten to freeze the meat grinder components. It's seriously not worth trying to do it anyway with room temperature components. If they're in the freezer all the time anyway, they'll be ready whenever you're ready.

Some considerations:

• You will generally want some fat in the meat. When I started out, I thought, "Wow: I get to make fat free sausage!" Then, I fried it up, and got a crumbly, unpleasant mess. Some fat is important to keep the sausage moist and hold the meat together. It also adds a lot of flavor. If you have chicken, you can even throw in the skin! The result will taste like fried chicken when you cook it in the pan.
  • Fat-free ground meat is doable if you add vegetables to add moisture. I do make fat free ground chicken breast, and then mix in chopped mushrooms (which add an awesome umami character) and peppers (sometimes pickled, sometimes not). These will keep the patty moist, and add some color. You don't get the extra flavor bump that the fat adds, but you will still enjoy it.
  • Don't try to save money with a hand-crank grinder. My first grinder was a hand-crank type grinder. It worked, but it took so long to grind. The meat and the components would start to near room temperature, which isn't bad because it's unsafe. It's bad because the meat at the end of the grind always had some smearing.
  • Use the scraps from trimming meat for your sausage. I forgot that this is what I often do. I bought a massive amount of chicken breasts because my kids decided to start cooking things themselves. I trimmed off the fat and less-than-perfect angles to create perfectly-shaped cutlets. Then, I took the smaller cutlets and chopped them up to use in the sausage. The above direction to cut the meat into chunks assumes you're buying meat exclusively to make sausage.
Here's what I mean when I refer to smearing. The one on the left is what happens when you have meat that starts to warm up during the grind. The meat is loose, and there's an inconsistent texture. The one on the right is what you want to see: nice, consistent texture.

20110401-burger-lab-grinding-01.jpg

...............................Smeared Grind..................Proper Grind

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will update this post if I think of anything else.

Last edited:
I'd suggest just salt and pepper on the meat to start. This will give you a lot of flexibility: you can add other seasoning later (like spices), and I'm sure you'll love the result so much that you'll want to just fry some up and throw it into breakfast burritos, or into a sandwich bun. Here's a recipe for Sausage and Corn Fritters that you can also try. And, Scotch Eggs are pretty easy once you have the sausage.

There are recipes out there for making Italian sausage (you'll need parsley, fennel seeds...and paprika, which of course gives me an idea!)

I started this out as a reply to a post from @detroitdad, then decided it was best to have as a separate post (and, I'm guessing @morning glory would have done this anyway, so this saves her the trouble).

:D Should this have the 'Review' prefix to the title, perhaps? Its a good detailed report.

I'm not sure I've ever ground ('minced' in UK) my own meat - not sure I eat enough minced meat (or meat in general) to justify having a mincer. But I did see a hand cranked mincer in a charity shop the other day and was rather tempted to buy it. Maybe I'll go back and get it!

:D Should this have the 'Review' prefix to the title, perhaps? Its a good detailed report.

It could be if I were just talking about the grinder, but it's mostly about the process.

I'm not sure I've ever ground ('minced' in UK) my own meat - not sure I eat enough minced meat (or meat in general) to justify having a mincer. But I did see a hand cranked mincer in a charity shop the other day and was rather tempted to buy it. Maybe I'll go back and get it!
I don't recommend the hand-operated grinders (see my original post for reasons why). Your best bet if you have one is to do small batches at a time, so the meat and the equipment don't have as much of a chance to warm up.

One plus of the hand-crank grinder? You will get a good workout (one arm at a time).

Don't try to save money with a hand-crank grinder. My first grinder was a hand-crank type grinder. It worked, but it took so long to grind. The meat and the components would start to near room temperature, which isn't bad because it's unsafe. It's bad because the meat at the end of the grind always had some smearing.

OK - but I'm cooking for one or two people at most so very small quantities. So wouldn't a hand grinder be OK for that?

OK - but I'm cooking for one or two people at most so very small quantities. So wouldn't a hand grinder be OK for that?
Certainly. But, I've found that I like making a lot of sausage, then I freeze some of it, use some for something specific, and keep the rest in the fridge in case I get inspired to throw something together. The cleanup is very messy, too, so I like to minimize how often I use it.

But, you may find that you don't use it very often, in which case grinding a pound at a time (or less) might be just what you need. I would recommend keeping the meat in the refrigerator or freezer until the moment you're ready to start grinding

Pretty much like my mincer as well, except mines red,lol. Everything you say is correct. I freeze stuff a lot so if I'm making mince I take steak out and grind when it's half defrosted. Just my process. We don't eat pork a lot, mainly only ham. So I keep any pork for my daughter who loves it. I'm going to,be making ravioli some time soon with pork and prawn filling so I'll use my mincer then.

Russ

Update to the original post...I've added the following:

Use the scraps from trimming meat for your sausage. I forgot that this is what I often do. I bought a massive amount of chicken breasts because my kids decided to start cooking things themselves. I trimmed off the fat and less-than-perfect angles to create perfectly-shaped cutlets. Then, I took the smaller cutlets and chopped them up to use in the sausage. The above direction to cut the meat into chunks assumes you're buying meat exclusively to make sausage.

It was a bargain when I got it at $79.99, and it's an absolute steal now at only $49.99 at the Web Restaurant Store (with free shipping in the States, and I think also in Canada).

Placed my order this morning :) The wife is requesting ground chicken patties for my first experiment.

I'm planning on mixing in onions with my chicken patties. Can I grind the onions in the meat grinder along with the chicken? Or should I use the food processor and hand mix it?

Thanks,
I think the onion won't grind the way you want it to if you feed chunks of it into the grinder: I'd expect there to be some big chunks and some small chunks, which means it won't cook evenly.

I always chop the things like onions by hand, and mix them in after grinding the meat. I have done this with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and kimchi...all of them provide a nice flavor bump, as well as providing moisture to the patty.

I think the onion won't grind the way you want it to if you feed chunks of it into the grinder: I'd expect there to be some big chunks and some small chunks, which means it won't cook evenly.

I always chop the things like onions by hand, and mix them in after grinding the meat. I have done this with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and kimchi...all of them provide a nice flavor bump, as well as providing moisture to the patty.

I figured as much. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom