Recipe Meatballs

ally79

Veteran
Local time
9:40 PM
Well, the Superbowl is tomorrow so lots of people are looking for appetizer recipes. This is one of my favorite appetizer recipes and you can place them in the crock-pot in the morning and can cook all day.

1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons finely minced onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (10 ounce) jar grape jelly
1 bottle chili sauce

Directions:

Make meatballs: Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, milk, cheese, onion, and garlic.

Form into approximately 24 meatballs.
Place on ungreased baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in your slow cooker, combine jelly and chili sauce; stir to blend.
Set slow cooker on low for overnight or all day or on high for 6 hours or so.
Remove meatballs from pan and place into slow cooker.
Stir to coat with sauce.

Cook on low all day or on high for 6 hours.

Last edited:
I love meatballs! They are the best party snack ever, but I never get the good tasting sauce. I feel like I am always disappointed by the sauces I buy. Which do you recommend?

I love these, I think I first came across a recipe like this on a bottle of Heinz Chili Sauce. I think theirs omitted the Parmesan and called for grape jam instead of grape jelly. But for all intents and purposes it's more or less the same thing. I also noticed more recently that the newer bottles of chili sauce actually changed this recipe a bit and call for a can of cranberry preserves in place of the grape jam - which also sounds delicious as well.

I usually brown my meatballs first before putting them in the sauce to slow cook, so they cook off some of their excess juices and fat, which keeps the sauce prettier looking. It also helps keep the meatballs held together so they don't get too mushy and fall apart.

I always use a frying pan to cook my meatballs. However I must admit that recently I've resorted to just buying premade meatballs from the store, it saves so much time.

The best sauce for meatballs: mustard!

Reactions: L_B
This is amazing!!! I have never tried making meatballs before! Which is weird because it is such an easy thing to make, and really popular. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I would have never guessed that grape jelly and meatballs would ever be included in the same recipe. Hah hah. :woot:

Oh my, my grandfather use to make the most amazing meatballs. As a kid I lived with my grandparents for a few years and he'd make them 3 or 4 times a year. When he did though the amount he'd made was massive, and all around the clock I'd sneak into the kitchen to steal a few :P
Sadly enough, he took the recipe with him when he passed away... :(
If I recall though, his were 50/50 made out of beef and pork, and he had found the perfect combination between onions and garlic.

Yep, those sweat and sour meatballs that the first poster mentioned are always a crowd pleaser. I love to have great super snacks. i enjoy meatballs as well. I love a good spaghetti and meatballs,,,meatball subs are good too. I usually make mine in the oven when I am making a standard meatball to go with some sort of dish.

I love beef, I love meatballs as well but I prefer my meatballs with a lot of sauce and on a plate of spaghetti but this is great as well. Good use of garlic and parmesan as it really works well to counter the chili.

I have made these in the past and they have always been a hit. They are simple to make with just two ingredients in the sauce. I make meatballs often and try different sauces but I must admit I have never had them in mustard. That is different.

I wish I'd seen this recipe before I went to the grocery store yesterday. It would be perfect for tonight, New Year's Eve. Oh well, I'll save it for the next time I have these ingredients. Meatballs are one thing I've only made a few times, so I could definitely use a good recipe, and this one looks pretty interesting. I might even make them smaller than the usual size, and use them for cocktail meatballs, as an appetizer. I've never heard of using grape jam/jelly in meatballs, but I do have an abundance of it on hand, so that's one less ingredient to buy. Is there any type of chili sauce that works best?

This sounds amazing! I am always looking for new recipes and new ways to spice it up a little bit. I have a lot of ground beef in my freezer and am always looking for ways to use it. I will most definitely try this recipe. I like the fact that you bake the meatballs and then slow cook them. I bet that they taste amazing. You could probably freeze them too.

Meatballs are one of our favorites here! I can't put bread crumbs in them because of my hubbys celiac disease but I use instant potato flakes instead and they are still divine. I typically put a ketchup, brown sugar, onion barbeque sauce over them and cook them in the slow cooker.

Back
Top Bottom