Recipe Meatballs

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:49 PM
MEATBALLS
Makes about 25-30 1-1/2 to 2-inch meatballs

NOTE: I always make this at the same time I'm making a big batch of red sauce for pasta, pizza, sandwiches, since the recipe calls for simmering the meatballs in the sauce at the end.

Ingredients
1/2 cup water
6 slices day-old bread, torn into pieces
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 TBsp minced fresh parsley
1 pound ground beef
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 400F.

Soak the bread in the water for a few minutes; squeeze out excess moisture. In a large bowl, combine the soaked bread, eggs, cheese, parsley, salt, garlic, and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2 to 2-inch meatballs (should yield 25-30 meatballs).

Place meatballs on a rack set in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400F until no longer pink, around 20 minutes.

Transfer to a pot of warmed spaghetti sauce and simmer until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve over spaghetti or use for pizza or meatball sandwiches.

Recipe courtesy of "The Taste Of Home Cookbook"

Thanks for sharing! I love meatballs but never tried making in the oven, need to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing! I love meatballs but never tried making in the oven, need to give it a try.
This is a really easy, basic recipe. Usually when I make meatballs, I soak the bread in milk instead of water, but I didn't notice much difference.

I make mine in a similar way, but with a 50/50 mix of ground beef and ground pork. I also use basil, instead of parsley -- I love basil. In the past, I have not put any cheese in mine, but I really want to ad Parmesan to my next batch.

CD

I make mine in a similar way, but with a 50/50 mix of ground beef and ground pork. I also use basil, instead of parsley -- I love basil. In the past, I have not put any cheese in mine, but I really want to ad Parmesan to my next batch.

CD
Please use Parmigiano Reggiano, totally different to the generic Parmesan found in the store, a totally different product. Makes all the difference but apologies if you already knew this!:highfive:

CD
When I'm too lazy to make meatballs, I just break off golf-ball-sized hunks of Italian sausage and fry or broil those up. 😬

With regard to 'ground beef' (we call it minced beef or beef mince), in the UK it is often sold with the fat content listed. Some have 5% fat, some 10% fat, some 20% etc. Is that the case in the USA? And if so, what percentage fat are you using.

Please use Parmigiano Reggiano, totally different to the generic Parmesan found in the store, a totally different product. Makes all the difference but apologies if you already knew this!:highfive:

It is not so easily available in America. Most cheese labelled Parmesan in the US is made in America. New thread...

With regard to 'ground beef' (we call it minced beef or beef mince), in the UK it is often sold with the fat content listed. Some have 5% fat, some 10% fat, some 20% etc. Is that the case in the USA? And if so, what percentage fat are you using.

It is not so easily available in America. Most cheese labelled Parmesan in the US is made in America. New thread...

I have absolutely no problem buying imported Parmigiano Reggiano here. I usually buy an 1/8th of a wheel, average 10 to 11 pounds and divide it up and vacuum seal. The rind is embossed with the name. I think most folks in the US think Parmesan comes in a shelf stable, green can. We also have Grana Padano, but PR rules!

Yes, it's labeled similarly here. The three biggies are ground chuck, also called 80/20, ground round, also called 85/15, and ground sirloin, also called 90/10. Those numbers correspond to lean/fat.

However, it's also possible to go as high as 75/25 (that's the really cheap stuff) and as low as 96/4 (not good for anything, IMO), and 92/8 is pretty easy to find as well.

I can get proper parm at the big Kroger, the gourmet grocer I (used to) frequent, and the international market. The closest is 30 minutes' drive, the farthest is about an hour. If I go a bit farther, into the city, there are other specialty shops that have it.

It is true, though, your average smaller markets won't carry it.

Yes, that is what I buy, solid, and grate myself. :wink:

CD

Here, they list the lean content, as in 80-percent lean, or 80/20 beef.

I have no problem finding Parmegiano Regiano here. Most grocery stores have it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom