Recipe Mediterranean Crevettes Rouges

Francesca

Local time
1:47 PM
I remember my paternal grandmother showing me an Italian map from her school days where she has a century ago map that illustrated " An Italy encompassing much of what was The old Yugoslavia and Austria."

Today, those borders had been reduced to form Italy´s most Eastern región called Friuli Venezia Guilia ..

This récipe was originally prepared with Adriatic prawns and served with Toscai White Wine from Fruili ..

We as a family have since updated the type of shellfish used and the preparation ..

Need:

5 tablesp of Italian Evoo
1 garlic clove crushed
1 Kilo of Crevettes or Jumbo Prawns of choice ( I prepare in tact in the shells because the shells provide a tremendous amount of flavor to the dish and they crack open while sauté-ing) .. However, one can remove heads, and crack shells and cook the Crevettes out of shells ) .. The Taste Profile: is not prawns. They are more similar to Alaskan King Crab, and are quite sweet and tender .. Not lobstery in texture ..
1/ 4 cup of fresh basil leaves finely chopped
2 tablesps. of Fresh Marjoram minced finely
2 tblsps of Fresh Italian Parsley
2 tsps of Hungarian Paprika or Smoked Pimentón de La Vera, Extremadura, Spain
Salt and Freshly ground Black pepper to taste
2 / 3 Cup dry White Italian Wine

1) Heat the Evoo in a heavy large skillet over médium heat.
2) Add the fresh garlic clove and sauté until Golden 2 minutes and then discard the garlic clove ..
3) Add the Crevettes and the fresh herbs and cook the prawns about 1 minute or 1.5 minutes per side and stir in the paprika ..
4) Salt and pepper to taste ..
5) Add the wine and cover and cook until prawns are cooked through, about a total of 3 minutes ..
6) Spoon the prawns on the plate on a bed of Bio Angel Hair Pasta ..

Heaven awaits ..

Serve with an Italian White wine or Prosecco of choice ..

Last edited:
1 kilo of jumbo size crevettes serves 2 to 4 depending if you want to serve them as an appetiser or a main & if this is all one has with some Champagne or Prosecco or Cava or one serves with a light green salad .. They are quite large ..

carabinerosonice20170124_113736.jpg

Last edited:
...so a kilo with the heads and shells included then? Sadly most of our crevettes are sent to Spain so I can only get them occasionally!

These crevettes are from Marseille Mediterranean waters where my dad and father in law and husband purchase them on a regular basis when in season ..

There are some phenomenal jumbo prawns in the Gulf region, but Michigan is a bit too far away for me to make this economical. I can get 5 pounds shipped to me for $100. :eek: I think I'll stick to something cheap, like lobster. :laugh:

@The Late Night Gourmet

Crevettes do not possess a lobster texture nor a prawn texture .. They are from the family of Aristeidae and are called Aristeus Antennatus in Latin ..

They are from the Mediterranean ( Marseille & The Balearics ) ..

A similar species called: Plesiopenaeus Edwardisanus belongs to the Atlantic and they are not the same at all .. The Carabineros are from both Marseille and the Balearics not the Atlantic ..

I have no idea, of the currency Exchange to the Euro at the momento ... However, Carabineros at 18 to 22 inches of longitude depending on season can range in the Spring season from 10 Euros a kilo to 50 Euros a kilo during the Christmas Season ..

Lucky us, we have a boat and get them from Marseille frequently ..

@The Late Night Gourmet

Crevettes profile:

They do not taste like prawns ..

They are not as firm as a lobster ..

The closest proximity taste wise, would be wild Alaskan King Crab ..

They are sweeter than Lobster .. And more tender in texture ..

They are also relatively unknown out side of Marseille and the major cities of Spain and The Balearic Islands ..

Last edited:
Aristeidae

I think you are using the Crevettes Rouge which are indigenous in the med. They are red when in the raw state? Crevettes is a word generally used to describe very large prawns. I have some in my freezer and they aren't the red type - which as you say are very special. Perhaps your recipe should be re-titled 'Simply Crevettes Rouge' to avoid confusion.

They are an intense Deep red as in the photograph and snow White on the interiors ..

These are Carabiñeros or Crevettes Rouges ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom