Melon Pan

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
10:18 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Not *technically* for the Cooking Bites Recipe Contest, but I wanted to share this Japanese treat with you. It doesn't actually contain melon - it's called melon pan (melon bread) because it looks like a melon! The recipe contest just made me think of it, though!

It's quite popular here in Japan!

I won't copy and paste the full recipe as it's rather long but here's a link to how to make it if you're interested (with pictures). It's not my blog - just a resource I found online :)

http://www.thelittleepicurean.com/2015/05/japanese-melon-pan.html

I've never been much of a baker and might never ever attempt to make these. However, I've seen a youtube show "cooking with dog" make these and they look so good. I've had them once while travelling with a friend to the east and I thought it was such a different taste. In a great way of course. Since the name is melon pan, I was expecting a melon taste. Nope, that is just the name given to it because of what it resembles!

I am a baker but have always stayed away from anything requiring yeast. This looks like a project I may be interested in trying, I have seen these little cakes in the bakery and wondered how they would taste.

I absolutely love working with yeast.
I have always loved watching the dough rise and was fascinated by the magic of it. I would gladly try this recipe and also you can look into several cuisines and see food called in a way that doesn't have anything to do with the ingredients.

My son is a fan of Japanese television and he watches a lot of Japanese cooking shows. I don't think he is much of a baker at all, but he might be interested in this recipe. It might be his cup of tea.

I absolutely love working with yeast.
I have always loved watching the dough rise and was fascinated by the magic of it. I would gladly try this recipe and also you can look into several cuisines and see food called in a way that doesn't have anything to do with the ingredients.

I used to love watching my older cousin bake. She owns her own bakery now and is much busier. However, when we were younger, I would watch her work magic with yeast. I found is fascinating when she tied knots into these doughs that puffed up so prettily in the ovens! She did everything from croissants, to fresh buns, to custom flavoured bread loafs, to french profiteroles.

I am a baker but have always stayed away from anything requiring yeast. This looks like a project I may be interested in trying, I have seen these little cakes in the bakery and wondered how they would taste.
I tend to stay away from yeast related baking as well. I looked at some the other day and wondered when I would get around to using it.I just find bread a little intimidating. This recipe looks very much like a recipe posted by @classic33 where I was wondering where is the melon https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/japanese-melon-bread-melon-ban.7239/

Back
Top Bottom