Guru
Local time
9:06 AM
WP_20150701_21_15_43_Pro.jpg

Ingredients for 2 servings:

Filling

2 apples, cored, sliced but not peeled

3 plums, stones removed, and halved

2 half inch slices of honeydew melon, pith and seeds removed, and cut into chunks

1 tablespoon blackberry jam (optional)

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Topping

4 oz plain flour

2 oz butter

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Brown sugar to taste (optional)

Method

1. Layer fruit in a small ovenproof dish. If used, dab the blackberry jam on top, and then sprinkle with sugar.

2. Sift flour into a bowl and rub in butter 'til it resembles fine breadcrumbs, add sugar and mix.

3. Sprinkle crumble topping over the fruit and press down firmly. Bake at Gas Mark 5/375F/190C/170 fan for about 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to Gas Mark 4/350F/180C/160 fan for about another 30 minutes until the top is light brown. Then sprinkle over brown sugar, if used.

4. Serve with custard, cream or yoghurt

Notes

I used Royal Gala apples, very ripe plums, and very ripe melon as well as the jam, which are all very sweet, so I didn't need to add a lot of sugar. Similarly, I leave the brown sugar off until the crumble is cooked but still very hot and only sprinkle the extra sugar over if needed.

I used a 6 inch diameter, 2 inch deep ovenproof dish. This contains enough for 2 servings.

This is quite unusual - I've not come across melon in a crumble before.
Neither have I. I had some left-over melon and plums in the fridge (hence the "very ripe") and fancied a crumble, so I decided to experiment :D. The melon goes more or less to a liquid. Absolutely scrummy, and I've always got plenty of yoghurt. It was as a result of my experiment that I decided to choose melon in the challenge, just to see what everyone came up with :wink:

Neither have I. I had some left-over melon and plums in the fridge (hence the "very ripe") and fancied a crumble, so I decided to experiment :D. The melon goes more or less to a liquid. Absolutely scrummy, and I've always got plenty of yoghurt. It was as a result of my experiment that I decided to choose melon in the challenge, just to see what everyone came up with :wink:
I think we have something in common here! I love to experiment and often do. Sometimes I fail miserably but then there are those moments when a light goes on and you realise you've discovered something new. As it happens, I have left over melon in the fridge and some cooking apples...

I think we have something in common here! I love to experiment and often do. Sometimes I fail miserably but then there are those moments when a light goes on and you realise you've discovered something new. As it happens, I have left over melon in the fridge and some cooking apples...
Well, there you are then :D. The only problem I have with experimenting is trying to remember what on earth were all ingredients I used, what quantities, and how long it was cooked for. I've made several crumbles during the last few months, all with classic ingredients, but this time I used leftovers - the plums were the "ripen at home" ones I'd put in the cupboard and promptly forgot about so they were already soft and overripe before they even got to the fridge, and the melon was a little bit bigger than I'd anticipated. The apple was the last one of a pack I'd bought about 6 weeks before I used it and the jam was home-made and very sweet (from the fruit as well as the sugar). That's the reason I didn't put so much sugar in this time. If you're using a tart cooking apple, you may need to add a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom