Recipe Mexican Adobo ( my way)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
5:24 AM
So here´s my take on Mexican "adobo". It´s an easy blend to make and only takes about 15 minutes.
Ingredients:
1 (dried) ancho chile
2 (dried) guajillo chiles
1 chile morita (if you can get it) or chilpotle
2-3 chile de arbol ( optional if you don´t like the heat)
1 tsp sesame seeds
2 tsps sunflower kernels
1 1/2 tsps cumin seeds
2 tsps annato powder
1" piece of cinnamon bark (the Mexican version is softer)
2 tbsps dried oregano or 1 tbsp oregano powder
Method:
  1. Toast the chiles in a dry pan, turning frequently, for a couple of minutes. Remove.
  2. Turn off the heat, then put the sesame seeds, sunflower kernels, cumin seeds and cinnamon in the pan. Move them around for about 30 seconds or until you can smell the spices/nuts. Remove.
  3. Remove the stems from the chiles, and remove the seeds from the ancho and guajillo chiles - they won´t add much flavour, so get rid of them.
  4. Put all the ingredients in a spice blender and blitz to a powder. Keep in a cool, dark place.
  5. Makes about 30 gms (about 1 oz)
I

OK. Anyone who knows Mexican food will see that I didn´t use ancho, guajillo, or morita - that´s because I haven´t got any left :laugh: :laugh: I used some chile chilhuatl and a chilpotle. No problem - I suggest you use what´s in the recipe.
Nor did I add any onion powder, garlic powder or lime peel.The onion and garlic go in fresh to the "sofrito", and lime peel - never seen it in Mexico (which is no judgement) but I´d add lime juice near the end of the cooking process.
Mexican cinnamon is very soft and not as strong as Sri Lankan, Indonesian or Vietnamese cinnamon.
If you want to use ready powdered cinnamon, oregano or cumin - be my guest.

The method is very similar to making an Indian curry spice mixture. Stupid question I know, but in which dishes do you use the adobo?

Mostly things like Chile con Carne ( which isn´t even Mexican) and quick fixes for taco fillings - usually chicken and pork.
I make a mean cochinito pibil- but that uses a different mixture and orange juice.

Mostly things like Chile con Carne ( which isn´t even Mexican) and quick fixes for taco fillings - usually chicken and pork.
I make a mean cochinito pibil- but that uses a different mixture and orange juice.

Chili con Carne was invented in Texas, but it was South Texas, and there was pretty heavy Mexican influence.

CD

Back
Top Bottom