medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:07 PM
This is not really a Mexican rice recipe, but that is what it was called back in the 1980s. I used to make this back when I was a single working mom. It was cheap, had protein, veges, and carbs. Best of all, it was only a little prep and fast!

Recipe can be doubled. Leftovers are still good.

1 pound lean ground meat
1/2 bag of frozen mixed veges
1/2 large onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 can of chopped tomatoes with juice
Salt and pepper
Chili powder
Ground cumin
1 cup white or brown rice as you prefer- see note regarding brown rice

Water for rice - about 1/2 cup less than what directions call for. You can use chicken or beef broth if you want, though I'd do about half water/half beef broth so as not to overpower.

Brown the ground meat, add the onions and cook until soft. Add a little salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add chili powder and ground cumin to taste (more or less amount you'd use for chili). Stir. Add rice, stir until mixed well. Add liquid and tomatoes, bring to boil. Add a little more S&P. Add veges, cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Taste, adjust seasoning and serve.

NOTE: If you are using brown rice, let it cook for a little while before you add veges since brown rice takes longer to cook than white.

This is not really a Mexican rice recipe, but that is what it was called back in the 1980s. I used to make this back when I was a single working mom. It was cheap, had protein, veges, and carbs. Best of all, it was only a little prep and fast!

Recipe can be doubled. Leftovers are still good.

1 pound lean ground meat
1/2 bag of frozen mixed veges
1/2 large onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 can of chopped tomatoes with juice
Salt and pepper
Chili powder
Ground cumin
1 cup white or brown rice as you prefer- see note regarding brown rice

Water for rice - about 1/2 cup less than what directions call for. You can use chicken or beef broth if you want, though I'd do about half water/half beef broth so as not to overpower.

Brown the ground meat, add the onions and cook until soft. Add a little salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add chili powder and ground cumin to taste (more or less amount you'd use for chili). Stir. Add rice, stir until mixed well. Add liquid and tomatoes, bring to boil. Add a little more S&P. Add veges, cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Taste, adjust seasoning and serve.

NOTE: If you are using brown rice, let it cook for a little while before you add veges since brown rice takes longer to cook than white.
Thankyou 😊
And CONGRATUALTIONS sorry a bit shouty but Congratulations 👍
Clever ingredient choice theres no end to that one.

Back
Top Bottom