Micro Greens

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:59 AM
I bought some (growing) micro greens yesterday in Waitrose - £2 which I suppose is not too a bad price. They are very popular with chefs. But this is the first time I've seen them in supermarkets apart from cress - which has always been sold here, even when I was a kid. I have grown my own micro greens on the kitchen window sill quite a few times - using urad dhal , dried peas etc.

Here is the 'growing' cress as is sold everywhere in the UK - this punnet is 26p

19000011_0_640x640.jpg

Here are the micro greens:

fullsizeoutput_3493.jpeg

20180525_190539.jpg

So - questions:

Are 'growing' micro greens available where you live?
Is cress, as seen in the first photo, common in other countries besides UK
Have you ever grown your own micro greens?

Micro greens crack me up. What a racket.
Just overplant a crap-load of the desired seeds in a moist environment, be it a row in the ground, or a pot with soil, or wet paper towels in a plastic container, and within a few days of sprouting you have a harvest with excellent nutritional value. Not to mention that you put in so little effort for a haute cusine ingredient.

Micro greens crack me up. What a racket.
Just overplant a crap-load of the desired seeds in a moist environment, be it a row in the ground, or a pot with soil, or wet paper towels in a plastic container, and within a few days of sprouting you have a harvest with excellent nutritional value. Not to mention that you put in so little effort for a haute cusine ingredient.

I agree but I suppose there are lots of folk who haven't time to bother planting. To buy the seed packets for the three in the photo would cost over £5 as opposed to the £2, I paid. Of course, you could grow a lot more plants if you had the seeds but I suspect most people only use these type of greens occasionally so its cheaper and immediate to buy them in the supermarket.

I bought them because they weren't very expensive and I could smell the garlic chives. I added some to a sandwich yesterday and I was amazed by how powerful the garlic flavour was. I could even smell it when I came back into the house after going out. So - I intend to get some garlic chive seeds and grow them myself.

I had a packet of garlic chives seeds in a mixed box of salad seeds I bought but I wasn't particularly taken by them. None of the seeds were very successful, except for the rocket seeds which have suddenly decided to sprout on my window sill.

I had a packet of garlic chives seeds in a mixed box of salad seeds I bought but I wasn't particularly taken by them. None of the seeds were very successful, except for the rocket seeds which have suddenly decided to sprout on my window sill.

I've just received some garlic chive seeds so I will see...

Back
Top Bottom