Microplane

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
1:28 PM
Do you have a micro plane? What do you think of it? Good? Not worth it?

I know it is not a major expense. My issue is that I am a gadget junkie. I do not want to purchase another gadget unless it really enhances my culinary skills. My Baby Brother has one and swears that it has changed his culinary life. I would take his word except that he is as much a gadget junkie as I am.

Opinions please.

We have several and use them often. The difference between them is width. The small one, maybe 1" wide works great for garlic and zesting lemons and limes. The wider ones are used on larger citrus and for finely grated cheese. We've had to replace a couple because they have either gotten dull or the handle broke.

Do you have a micro plane? What do you think of it? Good? Not worth it?

I know it is not a major expense. My issue is that I am a gadget junkie. I do not want to purchase another gadget unless it really enhances my culinary skills. My Baby Brother has one and swears that it has changed his culinary life. I would take his word except that he is as much a gadget junkie as I am.

Opinions please.

I have several and use them all the time. Definitely worth it - from grating cheese to grating garlic and ginger and zest. Its probably one of my most used kitchen tools.

No planes around here, if I was fussy like mg, I would have one but two things, I hate getting slices of my hands taken off. And I have pretty good knife skills. I have visions of my hand getting a nice nearly striped piece of my hand presented like a slice of cheese,lol.

Russ

No planes around here, if I was fussy like mg, I would have one but two things, I hate getting slices of my hands taken off. And I have pretty good knife skills. I have visions of my hand getting a nice nearly striped piece of my hand presented like a slice of cheese,lol.

Russ

Microplanes aren't like that - they are like graters. Mandolins are a different matter!

Microplanes aren't like that - they are like graters. Mandolins are a different matter!
Honestly, my first thought when I read microplane was mandolin. I do have one of these things:

microplane-rasp-grater-c.jpg

...but I almost always end up reaching for one of these instead:

71ZelsUByML._SX425_.jpg

If you have one, I honestly can't see investing in a microplane. I use the above for zesting and for anything that requires grated ginger or garlic. If I can find the microplane, I use that, but I don't see the point.

Larger grating needs (like the massive parmigiano reggiano needs for pesto) require a box grater:

71eKbNoZwhL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have one, I honestly can't see investing in a microplane. I use the above for zesting and for anything that requires grated ginger or garlic. If I can find the microplane, I use that, but I don't see the point.

(Your first image isn't displaying)

That is a microplane! It just isn't the microplane brand. But essentially the same.

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 18.18.27.png

You first image is not displaying...

Last edited:
Honestly, my first thought when I read microplane was mandolin. I do have one of these things:

microplane-rasp-grater-c.jpg

...but I almost always end up reaching for one of these instead:

View attachment 28777

Larger grating needs (like the massive parmigiano reggiano needs for pesto) require a box grater:

View attachment 28778

I had one like the one at the top. Now I have one like the one in the middle!! :wink:

Thanks all. I have a mandolin , a box grater a 1" wide fine grater and a 3" wide coarse grater. Baby Brother likes his microplane for zesting citrus, grating hard Cheese to a powder and grating garlic and ginger. I think I must have one.

I am still debating whether to get one or not. I'd probably grate my fingernails if not my fingers. I have an ordinary cheese grater (which is dangerous enough as far as I am concerned), a box grater, and a round one which you put cheese etc inside and twist to grate. Must admit though the ordinary one is more efficient than the others.

I am still debating whether to get one or not. I'd probably grate my fingernails if not my fingers. I have an ordinary cheese grater (which is dangerous enough as far as I am concerned), a box grater, and a round one which you put cheese etc inside and twist to grate. Must admit though the ordinary one is more efficient than the others.

I find its OK if you grate ginger - just don't go down to the last bit. Its brilliant for ginger. With garlic I only grate large cloves. You can get a ones with guards.

Back
Top Bottom