Microwave Cake-making

impish

Local time
10:17 PM
I may not yet qualify to post an image, though I am anxious to do so. At any rate, one of my favorite cakes from childhood was a Marble Cake my Mother made for me often. Around age 10, I succeeded in getting her to allow me to make one myself.

Nowadays, in possession of her old recipe box, obtained when she passed away in 1986, I ocassionally yield to trying one of those old favorites. If my images are disallowed, well, ...........this thread will become basically bogus. Here goes:
00110.jpg

00210.jpg

Kindly forgive the fuzzy images.......I see them here in my preview, suggesting you will too. Important point is that these loaf cakes were baked in a MICROWAVE OVEN........yummy!
impish

I may not yet qualify to post an image

Its fine to post images. :okay:

The cake looks good - it looks like its cooked in a metal tin though (can't be!). I've cooked sponge puddings before in the microwave which are OK - but whenever I tries cakes they end up a bit 'rubbery'. I must have another go. Any tips?

I don't bake cakes in the microwave for fear that it might end up being rubbery & tough!!!! :headshake:

How did you bakes in the microwave in metal tins without setting the whole thing alight? A wire twist tie throws sparks, a whole loaf pan has gotta throw a spanner in the works....

That said i have no idea what a spanner is but only know the phrase.

..... I must have another go. Any tips?
My wife really is the expert, due to her greater experience. I merely apply sound engineering logic where here recommendations seem to not quite fit, she dislikes that, but knows of my terribly inquisitive nature.

So, well, tips I can offer almost none, other than to consult good books on the topic. One thought comes to mind: I believe the cakes she made when teaching microwave cooking were usually "box cakes", pre-mixed such as are very numerous in the stores. Many have microwaving directions on the box in addition to conventional baking directions. I will ask her about tips.

How did you bakes in the microwave in metal tins without setting the whole thing alight? A wire twist tie throws sparks, a whole loaf pan has gotta throw a spanner in the works....

That said i have no idea what a spanner is but only know the phrase.
@oddduck
In general, nothing metal should ever be put in a microwave. However, as is the case with many technical things, there are exceptions. One is dependent on the amount of "load" imposed on the oven. For example, if a large turkey is being microwave-baked, his wing-tips and often even the drumstick's ends are wrapped with aluminum foil, to prevent over-cooking of those protruding parts. No sparking will occur under such conditions.

Once, not knowing that a fast-food beef sandwich product, wrapped in what I thought was paper, had metal foil integral with the wrapping paper. Imagine my surprise when a few seconds after I pushed "start", the oven was filled with smoke and flame: the foil had sparked enough to ignite the paper!

[Mod.Edit: Post edited and new thread started (see below)]

@morning glory "Any tips?"
Not quite what you asked for, and off-thread, but perhaps pertinent to the discussion: how about a 17+ pound Tom Turkey baked to perfection in 130 minutes?

See new thread here.

Last edited by a moderator:
"For example, if a large turkey is being microwave-baked,"

Perhaps your microwave is a bit different than mine, the metal leaf on my vintage pyrex will make sparks no matter the mass/load in the pot.

So - to satisfy my and @oddduck's curiosity, the cakes shown above are cooked in metal tins in the microwave and it is the weight of the overall load which ensures they don't spark?
@morning glory
That is correct. However, it is always best to employ microwavable plastic, as accidents can happen. as you may have noted, our oven has a huge metal turntable in it. Even with a very small "load", say, a cup of coffee, no sparking ever takes place.

Back
Top Bottom