Recipe Microwave Hollandaise Sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:39 AM
I’m not entirely happy with presenting this as a formal recipe. It took several attempts to get it right. As you might imagine its very time critical. A few seconds too long and the egg with scramble. Because microwaves, egg sizes etc. differ, I’ve written this as a guide rather than a precise recipe. Is it easier than making it conventionally? Maybe. Its somewhat faster. I used less butter than most recipes suggest. I think around half, although recipes vary.

Ingredients
  • 50g butter (I prefer unsalted)
  • 1 tsp white wine vinegar plus a little more
  • 2 egg yolks
Method
  1. Roughly chop butter, place in small bowl and soften in the microwave. Don’t melt the butter.
  2. In a larger bowl beat the egg yolks and vinegar together then add the butter pieces and whisk them in. There will be lumpy bits. This is fine.
  3. Microwave, uncovered on high for 10 seconds. Leave the whisk or fork in the bowl. No it won’t get hot and it won’t arc as long as its resting in the mixture.
  4. Remove the bowl from microwave and whisk.
  5. Microwave on high for 5 seconds. Remove the bowl from microwave and whisk.
  6. Repeat the last step until the mixture thickens to your desired consistency. In my case this took 80 seconds total cooking time. Add extra vinegar if desired.
N.B. many recipes suggest 10 or 15 second bursts rather than 5 seconds. I found this meant I couldn’t control the thickening and ended up with scramble! If you use 5 second bursts you should be fairly safe.

After 10 seconds:

After a further 30 seconds in 5 second busts, whisking in between:

After a further 30 seconds in 5 second bursts, whisking in between:

After another 10 seconds in 5 second bursts, whisking in between:

Last edited:
I am very happy to see these Eggs Benedict related discussions, Hollandaise Sauce, Poached Eggs, Separating Yolk and White. I have decided to try doing an Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine and a creation of my own which I will call Eggs Californien. It's one of the many reasons why I started that thread Revelations for The Egg.

Back
Top Bottom