Recipe Middle Eastern White Beans

Elawin

Guru
Local time
11:05 AM
Middle Eastern White Beans.jpg

This is a typical Middle Eastern recipe and can be eaten hot or at room temperature with rice or flat breads. The addition of a little extra stock turns it into a delicious soup. You can also use it as a superb accompaniment to lamb.

Cooking time: For the stock, 60 minutes plus standing time; for the beans, 90 minutes
Serves: 4

For the stock:

Ingredients:

1 large onion, quartered
2 tomatoes, quartered, or 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
½ lemon
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
6 cardamom pods, crushed
6 cloves
1 cinnamon stick, whole
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp baharat
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp vegetable oil, or a light olive oil
1.25 litres water

Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat, and fry all the ingredients for 2-3 minutes.
  2. Add 1.25 litres of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for about an hour.
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool to infuse all the flavours.
  4. Strain the stock, and discard all the ingredients.

For the beans:

Ingredients:

1 tbsp vegetable oil, or a light olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed with a little salt
500 g tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp tomato purée
500 ml stock
2 x 400 g cans of white kidney (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
Handful of parsley, chopped, or 2 tbsp dried parsley

Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-low heat, and fry the onion for about 10 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic, and fry for a further 2-3 minutes or until the onion is soft.
  3. Add the tomatoes, purée, and stock, stirring well. Season to taste.
  4. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pan. Stir occasionally.
  5. After 60 minutes, add the beans, and continue to simmer for a further 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened, adding a little more stock if required.
  6. Finally add the parsley, and serve with rice or flat breads.

Notes:

1. If using dried cannellini beans, soak 450 g beans overnight, then rinse and drain. Add the beans to the pan with the tomatoes, purée and stock, and cook for a total of 90 minutes.
  2. When cooled, the sauce becomes very thick and may need the addition of a little extra stock, especially if reheating.
  3. The stock can be made the night before. It keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days. Freeze any left-over stock.
  4. If using as a soup, add extra stock as required.
  5. If using as an accompaniment to meat, you can add some chicken bones to the pan with all the other ingredients when making the stock.

Last edited:
What an interesting recipe. I've never come across this method of making stock. My only question - given that the stock has already been simmered for 60 mins, why does it need to be simmered for another 60 mins in the second part of the recipe?

What an interesting recipe. I've never come across this method of making stock. My only question - given that the stock has already been simmered for 60 mins, why does it need to be simmered for another 60 mins in the second part of the recipe?

Because you are cooking the tomatoes, beans etc in it, and you don't want all the "bits" in the finished dish. Also, you can use the rest of the stock for other dishes if you want. I add all sorts of things to stock anyway (depending what I am using it for), but the flavour of this one is gorgeous - the extra standing time for the stock absolutely "makes" it.

I'm obviously being thick! The recipe ingredients list tinned beans which only need heating through (if using dried I can see that 60 mins might be needed). Tomatoes, onion and garlic don't need that long - do you mean it cooks that long to reduce the latter to a mush with no bits?

Sorry, sometimes having conversations in text form is stupidly complicated!

I'm obviously being thick! The recipe ingredients list tinned beans which only need heating through (if using dried I can see that 60 mins might be needed). Tomatoes, onion and garlic don't need that long - do you mean it cooks that long to reduce the latter to a mush with no bits?

Sorry, sometimes having conversations in text form is stupidly complicated!
That's how long I cooked it for - I don't know how it would affect the flavour if you cooked it for less time. It's only a simmer anyway, and it definitely doesn't turn out mushy. The photo above was taken after I had cooked it as per recipe and reheated half of it in the microwave (I had cooked it in the early morning when it was cooler). I had that last night with flat breads, and tonight I am having the remainder with rice.

Last edited:
Oh, I only said 'mush' because you mentioned it shouldn't have any 'bits'! I thought maybe you meant the bits of onions etc sort of dissolved with the long cooking. Perhaps mush was the wrong word. Anyway I'm fascinated by the stock - so I may give this a try.

Oh, I only said 'mush' because you mentioned it shouldn't have any 'bits'! I thought maybe you meant the bits of onions etc sort of dissolved with the long cooking. Perhaps mush was the wrong word. Anyway I'm fascinated by the stock - so I may give this a try.
I love this recipe and have everything but the baharat.
The additional 30 minutes after adding the beans sounds about right to me. She did say simmer.
She didn't say boil it. I think any less time and it would taste like canned beans with a side of flavor.
To me simmer means very low heat so the flavors can meld.

@Elawin

Exemplary flavor profile .. Especially the Baharat ( Arabic for Spice ) .. I make my spice blend with: Dried rose petals, Saffron, Smoked Paprika, Cinammon, Black Pepper Corns Grinded, Tumeric, Allspice, Cardamon, Cloves, one crumbled dried red cayenne chili pepper, dried Mint Herb & Cumin .. ( sort of a fusión of Moroccan, Lebanese & Turkish ) ..

Shall make note ..

Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:
I found another recipe for this. The stock is similar but uses a dried lime instead of the lemon. It also says to liquidise the tomatoes, puree and stock before adding the beans. I expect the recipe varies slightly from region to region and from country to country.

I like this recipe and will try because..

My wife and I enjoy Middle Eastern Cooking
We enjoy all type of beans
I need to add more beans to my diet for low carb/blood sugar reason

Thanks for the new idea !

:hungry::sun:

Back
Top Bottom