Midnight snack

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
1:01 AM
What do you feast on when you wake up hungry in the night? It is about twenty past five in the morning and I've just eaten one slice of gf bread with vegan margarine and a small bag of ready salted crisps. A nice little crisp sarnie. Sometimes I'll have a peanut butter sandwich. Leftovers is top of the list though.

It's not meant flippantly - but if I get up at 5.20am because I'm hungry, I eat breakfast (home-made bread, jam and lots of strong coffee). The coffee ensures no chance of returning to the 'land of nod' ...

I can't actually recall ever waking up so hungry that I had to get up and get something to eat. On the odd occasion that I feel a bit hungry during the night I just have a drink of water and go back to sleep.

A pint of ice cold milk, and something chocolatey. Cookies, or cake, or even just a candy bar will do the trick.

Last edited:
I can't actually recall ever waking up so hungry that I had to get up and get something to eat. On the odd occasion that I feel a bit hungry during the night I just have a drink of water and go back to sleep.

Me neither - I hardly eat at all during the day or if I wake up in the middle of the night. I tend to eat in the evening. I have been known to stay up drinking until the early hours (usually with someone) and then get the 'munchies'. My favourite for such occasions is cheese on toast with chilli or Worcestershire sauce (or both).

I don't wake up hungry but if I'm up late and get the munchies, I either have some cereal or a piece of hot toast .

If I wake up at night I grab a couple of cookies to plunge in a cup of lukewarm milk .. usually I like sweet things, but when there are for example the leftovers of pizza, then that is my night snack without a doubt .. even cold!

At four o'clock this morning I discovered half a tin of grapefruit in the fridge. Nothing could have been more refreshing!

At four o'clock this morning I discovered half a tin of grapefruit in the fridge. Nothing could have been more refreshing!

I don't think I've ever seen canned/tinned grapefruit. Was it in a syrup?

image.jpg

Quite a common breakfast food I over here. You can also get them in syrup.

Not after midniight. If I watch a movie, or want a late night nibble - string cheese or a slice of muenster or havarti, or an ice cream cup, I made a small plate of nibbles to watch TV - a few strawberries, a Ghirardelli chocolate caramel square and string cheese. Not very often though..

I don't think I've woken up in the night that hungry that I needed a snack. As stated. I'm usually awake between 5 and 6 am. I start with coffee, and then have either cereal or some form of an egg breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom