Milk

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:00 AM
Milk - be it cow's milk, goat's milk, plant milk or any other type of milk. Do you use it? Do you drink it neat, use it on cereal, in tea or coffee or perhaps make home-made cheese or butter? Do you buy full fat, semi skimmed or skimmed milk?

I like milk on cereal and in coffee; just a splash in tea. I rarely drink it neat but I do occasionally - either ice cold or warmed for comfort. Mostly I use almond milk because its so much lower in calories but I do use full-cream milk to make simple cheese.

How do others here use milk and which types of milk do you buy?

Full fat. Coffee, béchamel sauce, mashed potatoes and cauliflower cheese. I can't recall the last time that I drank it neat.

I drink A LOT of milk. Cow's milk, that is, but I have yet to meet a milk I didn't like. I' ve had cow, goat, yak, and camel so far.

I drink at least a pint of cow a day, upwards of a quart when I'm not at work. It's usually fat free cow's milk. Whole milk is kind of a treat to me, tasting rich with its buttery fat.

My wife says I must not have been breastfed as a baby.

Only a splash in coffee, otherwise milk in this house is just a culinary aid.

I wouldn't want to hijack a thread before it's had a chance to naturally deteriorate (well, I might) but I would be interested if anyone's persuaded that buttermilk makes a significant difference in a recipe. I have recipes here for both cornbread and southern biscuits which use buttermilk - I used full-fat milk instead of buttermilk when making cornbread and it was fine. I've not made the biscuits yet - does anyone think buttermilk would make them 'better'?

We only buy it when a recipe calls for it or we want to make cheese, which we go to an organic market that sells it raw. Biscuits are, IMO, much better with buttermilk. We always have a can/tin of powdered buttermilk in the fridge.

I have buttermilk for certain recipes (like salad dressing), and the sourness does make a big difference to a recipe. I won't bother trying to make a ranch dressing without it.

I've gotten myself accustomed to having skim milk with cereal, since I want to keep the calories down. But, after attempts to fool myself into thinking that skim milk makes a good substitute for whole milk in recipes, I've stopped using it for anything other than cereal.

When I do use milk in a recipe, I go the other way with it: I use Half-and-Half (which is the same as whole milk with an equal portion of cream to those of you who don't have it where you are).

I mainly use & drink 1% milk. except when I'm making ice cream, or anything else that would call for heavy or whipping cream. :wink:

Milk - be it cow's milk, goat's milk, plant milk or any other type of milk. Do you use it? Do you drink it neat, use it on cereal, in tea or coffee or perhaps make home-made cheese or butter? Do you buy full fat, semi skimmed or skimmed milk?

I like milk on cereal and in coffee; just a splash in tea. I rarely drink it neat but I do occasionally - either ice cold or warmed for comfort. Mostly I use almond milk because its so much lower in calories but I do use full-cream milk to make simple cheese.

How do others here use milk and which types of milk do you buy?
I always get only Organic Milk

Back
Top Bottom